turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

psp1234
Returning Member

RMD

I took my RMD for 2019 a portion of which I donated to my church.  Can I report the balance as income and still take the church donation as a deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

RMD

Was your donation to the church made by an IRA custodian sending the money directly to the church?  If not, the entire amount must be included in income and any deduction for the charitable contribution would have to be taken on Schedule A.  If the money was instead properly transferred to the charity by the custodian and qualifies as a Qualified Charitable Distribution from your IRA, the entire amount will be still be reported on single Form 1099-R and in the questions that follow your entry of the Form 1099-R details TurboTax will ask how much you had your IRA custodian transfer to charity.  TurboTax will then exclude this portion from your income on Form 1040 line 4b and will include the notation "QCD" next to the line.  The remainder will automatically be included on line 4b (assuming no basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions).

psp1234
Returning Member

RMD

YES. THE DONATION WAS SENT DIRECTLY TO THE CHURCH BY THE IRA CUSTODIAN.

dmertz
Level 15

RMD

Then the second half of my answer applies.  TurboTax will ask how much of the distribution was transferred to the charity by the custodian and will exclude that portion from the amount on Form 1040 line 4b.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies