Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

reduction in foreign taxes questions

Hi I am working on my 1116, I need help on how to answer the following questions in " reduction in foreign taxes" interview. what should I enter for those questions? 

Reduction in foreign taxes

1, 2021 foreign earned income excluded less related deduction

2, total foreign earned income less related deduction

3, foreign tax paid in 2021 for this category related to prior year

thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Did you claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion? (Form 2555)

If you did not have any Foreign Earned Income in 2021 (wages earned while working in a foreign country) you could leave these entries blank.

If your Foreign Taxes were paid on dividends and interest only, that is considered 'passive income' which is a different category of foreign income.

Those amounts transferred to the Foreign Tax Credit section for you from your 1099-Div/1099-Int entries.  You will only need to enter the income that is related to those taxes (from your broker statement). 

You are asked for this in the Foreign Tax Credit section. 

Here's more info on Foreign Earned Income

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi, No passive income, so no TAX paid on dividend/interest. All TAX are paid on earned income and I do have foreign income exclusion. How should I answer those questions? thanks

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To clarify, is your foreign income more than $108,700? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

yes, my foreign income is over $108,700. I have foreign exclusion and for the remaining amount I am taking foreign tax credit.  Above 3 questions are asked when I enter 1116, I have no idea what to answer. thanks

From TT's on demand guidance:

Lines 12a1 through 12a5:

If you excluded some or all of your foreign income on Form 2555, Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, the foreign taxes you paid must be reduced by the amount of taxes that relate to the foreign earned income that has been excluded on Form 2555. Lines 12a1 through 12a5 are used to determine the allocation ratio to be used in apportioning the amount of taxes applicable to excluded income.

The program performs the computations on lines 12a3, 12a4, 12a5 only for the General category of foreign income (i.e., if box b is checked at the top of this worksheet). Lines 12a1 and 12a2 must be entered when applicable.

If you excluded foreign income on Form 2555, enter on line 12a1 the amount of foreign earned income excluded (Form 2555, line 45) reduced by any itemized deductions that relate to the foreign income excluded.

Enter your total foreign earned income for the year on line 12a2. This is the total foreign earned income from Form 2555 (both copies), line 26, reduced by deductible expenses allocable to that foreign earned income.

NOTE: If you are subject to the alternative minimum tax, review line 12 on the Form 1116 AMT Worksheet for any applicable entries.

Line 12a6:

Enter the amount of any foreign taxes paid in the current year that related to a prior year's earned income in this category. The program will compute the reduction in taxes based on the prior year exclusion ratio, which is determined by the ratio on line 12a7a to line 12a7b. The reduction in current year taxes attributable to a prior year's excluded earned income will appear on line 12a8.

NOTE: If you are subject to the alternative minimum tax, review line 12 on the Form 1116 AMT Worksheet for any applicable entries.

Line 12a7a:

Enter the amount of net foreign earned income excluded in the year the foreign earned income was earned for which the taxes shown on line 12a6 were paid. The program uses this number as the numerator of the reduction ratio for foreign taxes relating to income earned in a prior year.

Line 12a7b:

Enter the amount of total net foreign income earned in the year for which the taxes shown on line 12a6 were paid. The program uses this number as the denominator of the reduction ratio for foreign taxes relating to income earned in a prior year.

Line 12a7:

The ratio shown here represents the percentage of foreign earned income excluded in the prior year for which the taxes on line 12a6 were paid. This ratio is applied to the line 12a6 taxes to arrive at the total reduction for prior year foreign earned income on line 12a8.

Line 12a9, text line:

Enter an explanation for any adjustment to the calculation for reduction in foreign taxes allocable to excluded income.

Line 12a:

The amount shown here is the reduction in foreign taxes attributed to the foreign earned income excluded for 2021. This amount is added to the amount on lines 12b and 12c and the total is transferred to line 12 of the corresponding copy of Form 1116.

Line 12b:

Any reduction in foreign taxes entered on a Schedule K-1 will flow to the first amount field on line 12b. See Schedule K-1 reduction in foreign taxes for more information. If there are additional amounts to reduce foreign taxes, use the next two fields or Line 12c if the reduction is due to participation in international boycott operations.

Line 12b, description and amount:

Enter the description of any other reduction in foreign taxes available for credit and the amount of the reduction. See the Government Instructions for Form 1116, line 12, for additional examples of foreign tax reduction requirements.

Line 12c:

If the foreign taxes must be reduced due to participation in international boycott operations (other than any reductions reported on a Schedule K-1 which flow to line 12b), enter the reduction for this category of income here.

The adjustments are listed in a different order than the instructions, but the worksheet makes the adjustments in the order in the government instructions for Form 1116.

klang55
Returning Member

This is great advice! I'd been searching for tips on how to answer lines 12a through 9. For some reason, TT seems to keep wiping out my F255 and returns the status to "Not Started" even though I've gone through it several times. Based on what I've read, I believe we can elect both FEI & FTC but it doesn't seem to let me take FEIE. Is that a bug? BTW my income is over the FEIE limit so I need to use FTC on top of my FEIE exclusion. Some questions in this forum talk about ways to trick TT into working by putting the Excess over the FEIE but I thought the whole point of using TT for us Americans abroad was so that TT could do the calculations for us! If we can't trust TT to deduct our taxes paid automatically and I have to do them all manually then why TT?!

To summarize, 2 questions:

1 - Why did TT delete my Form 2555 FEIE after entering in all the information twice?

2 - why is TT asking for Total FEI Deductions for Line 12? Not sure how to answer those.

thanks!

Thanks.

wshih
Returning Member

Hi @rogge1722 

The process you described in your posting might be related to the problem I'm currently facing, but not exactly the same.  Here is the problem I've got:

I paid a significant fraction of my overseas wages as foreign tax in the tax year 2021. I enter that amount under the following path:

"Deduction & Credits" -> "Country Summary" -> select "Edit" next to COUNTRY NAME --> "Foreign Taxes Paid" 

I chose NOT to take any FEIE. Therefore I did NOT enter anything under the path

"Deduction & Credits" ->"Reduction in Foreign Taxes"

However, on Line 12 of Form 1116, the same amount I entered under "Foreign Taxes Paid" mysteriously showed up, which offset the same amount listed on Line 6. As a result, the foreign taxes I paid in 2021 cannot be counted as foreign tax credit. Could you or any expert in this community help find a way to remove Line 12 on Form 1116, so that the taxes I paid are counted as foreign tax credit?

Thank you!

wshih
Returning Member

Hi @rogge1722  and all experts:

I investigated further and found out although I have 0 on line12a1, TT automatically put 0 on line12a2 of the Foreign Tax Credit Computation Worksheet.  And TT produces a "1" on line12a3 when dividing 0 by 0.

As @rogge1722  mentioned : Enter your total foreign earned income for the year on line 12a2. This is the total foreign earned income from Form 2555 (both copies)

Since I do NOT have Form 2555 as I don't use FEIE, where does the 0 on line 12a2 come from? And how can I replace it with my total earned income?  Any help appreciated!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies