turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

olds84tor
Returning Member

Recapture depreciation, Donated real property

I donated a rental property to charity. How and where do I report the recaptured depreciation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

From Zacks -- One of the biggest benefits of donating rental property is that the deduction is figured on the property's fair market value. For example, if you bought a rental home for $50,000 and claimed $20,000 in depreciation on it but it had a $100,000 fair market value, you'd be able to write off the $100,000 value. While the IRS sometimes limits your ability to donate depreciated properties, this limitation doesn't apply to depreciated real estate. When you donate property, you will need to have a professional appraiser prepare an appraisal report to establish its fair market value.

olds84tor
Returning Member

Thanks,

So, Do not concern myself with prior depreciation, just put FMV (appraised value at time of donation) on schedule A and attach Form 8283 section B. No need to use Form 4797 to figure recapture and report as ordinary income on schedule C.  Even though the property was depreciated over a period of years. The FMV is far more than the Adjusted basis.

Since there is Up to 40% penalty if reported wrong, please be specific as to forms and procedure. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies