Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sale of home details: sales expenses- is this important if way below $500,000 profit threshold?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Sale of home details: sales expenses- is this important if way below $500,000 profit threshold?

No, it is not important if you know you have no taxable gain because of the $500,000 exclusion. In fact, if you didn't receive 1099-S reporting the sale and you have no taxable gain, you don't have to report the home sale at all.

Note: If you lived and owned your home for at least two years in the 5 year period on the date of sale - you don't have to report the on your tax return- if your gain is less than $250,000 if filing Single (and $500,000 for married filing jointly both spouses must live and own the home for 2 years).

If your gain is larger than the amounts above (or received 1099-S) you must report the sale

1. Wages and Income
  2. Select Less Common Income
  3. Select Sale of Home

My daughter claimed me as a dependent.  I did sell a house for a 5000.00 profit .   This was my only income.  Do I need to file?   Would I benefit filing this to receive  stimulus check from corona virus outbreak? 

Your income is too high for your daughter to claim you ... and you should file a return to report the profit if the gross sales price was 12K or more. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies