Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

questioningQCD
Returning Member

Qualified Charitable Distribution

is there any ETA on a code fix?

@questioningQCD wrote:

is there any ETA on a code fix?

No.  Since there is a simple workaround and a fix will require extensive interview changes my guess it that it will be a very low propriety after more urgent problems are solved.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I was 70 1/2 in 2020 so I experienced this problem with Turbo Tax. I changed my birth date, entered the QCD, and went back and corrected my birth date. This worked until I got to Finish and File and it would not let me file electronically unless I fixed my file. I have talked to 3 different reps who said they were going to report the problem, but it is not fixed as of this past Thursday.

What is the form mode that you changed? I am not familiar with it. Thanks!

Donkaegi

It worked for me a week ago. It took two tries because I first changed my spouses BD but accidentally listed the QCD as coming from me. Did you double check the questions where you are asked which IRA the contribution came from?

@dntaylor1950 wrote:

What is the form mode that you changed? I am not familiar with it. Thanks!

The forms mode is only in the CD/download desktop versions.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
RobNJ
Returning Member

On my version there is a forms button clearly labeled on the upper right hand side.  Click on this, then look for Form 1099-R for your appropriate Payer.  Scroll down a quarter of the way and you'll see a place to enter your Qualified Charitable Distribution.   Good luck!

Plumbob

I have a Inherited IRA, Distribution code 4, and made a Qualified Charitable Distribution.  TurboTax will not recognize unless I change my age to something over 70 1/2 (as suggested in a earlier post).  When I do, it recognizes the Taxable amount as a Qualified Charitable Distribution  and corrects the taxable amount. I then change my age back and I get a error saying I have to be over 70 1/2.  When I try to e-file, I get stopped.  Is there a work around, is this going to be corrected ,or do I have to mail in my return??

PattiF
Expert Alumni

There is a work around for this situation. The 2020 version of TurboTax presently has a bug the prevents it from asking the necessary question for those with birthdates between July 1, 1949 and June 30, 1950.

As a workaround for this,

1. with the CD/download version you can provide the QCD-amount information on the 1099-R in forms mode
  2. or in any version of TurboTax you can temporarily change your birthdate in TurboTax to something before July 1, 1949,
  • edit the 1099-R form in TurboTax and answer the question asking how much was transferred to charity,
  • then change your birthdate in TurboTax back to your actual birthdate.

This is due to TurboTax implementing the new IRA RMD age from 70 1/2 to 72, but overlooking that the 70 1/2 age for the QCD did not change. The TurboTax QCD question is tied to the RMD question so if you don't get the RMD question you will not get the QCD question either. This should be fixed in a future update - no telling when, but there is no downside to the workaround as long as the correct DOB is changed back after entering the QCD.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My understanding of the tax law is that you cannot take a QCD until you are at least 70 1/2, so if you are younger then it won't let you claim it. I think they have finally fixed the problem for people over 70 1/2 because my went through on 2/27/21.

@dntaylor1950 wrote:

My understanding of the tax law is that you cannot take a QCD until you are at least 70 1/2, so if you are younger then it won't let you claim it. I think they have finally fixed the problem for people over 70 1/2 because my went through on 2/27/21.

Correct - you must tell TurboTax that yiu are *older* than 72.

2020 TurboTax presently has a bug the prevents it from asking the necessary question for those with birthdates between July 1, 1949 and June 30, 1950. As a workaround for this, with the CD/download version you can provide the QCD-amount information on the 1099-R in forms mode or in any version of TurboTax you can temporarily change your birthdate in TurboTax to something before July 1, 1949, edit the 1099-R form in TurboTax and answer the question asking how much was transferred to charity, then change your birthdate in TurboTax back to your actual birthdate.

This is due to TurboTax implementing the new IRA RMD age from 70 1/2 to 72, but overlooking that the 70 1/2 age for the QCD did not change. The TurboTax QCD question is tied to the RMD question so if you don't get the RMD question you will not get the QCD question either. This should be fixed in a future update - no telling when, but there is no downside to the workaround as long as the correct DOB is changed back after entering the QCD.2020 TurboTax presently has a bug the prevents it from asking the necessary question for those with birthdates between July 1, 1949 and June 30, 1950. As a workaround for this, with the CD/download version you can provide the QCD-amount information on the 1099-R in forms mode or in any version of TurboTax you can temporarily change your birthdate in TurboTax to something before July 1, 1949, edit the 1099-R form in TurboTax and answer the question asking how much was transferred to charity, then change your birthdate in TurboTax back to your actual birthdate.

This is due to TurboTax implementing the new IRA RMD age from 70 1/2 to 72, but overlooking that the 70 1/2 age for the QCD did not change. The TurboTax QCD question is tied to the RMD question so if you don't get the RMD question you will not get the QCD question either. This should be fixed in a future update - no telling when, but there is no downside to the workaround as long as the correct DOB is changed back after entering the QCD.

Plumbob

On a Inherited IRA, I have a RMD that I am required to take, other than last year, even though I am less than 70 1/2.  I did a Qualified Charitable Distribution last year.  I changed my age in order to get TurboTax to ask the question about the deduction and get the taxable amount corrected.  TurboTax will not allow me to e-file.   

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@Plumbob Did you change your Birthdate back after generating the QCD deduction?

Per @macuser_22 above:

The TurboTax QCD question is tied to the RMD question so if you don't get the RMD question you will not get the QCD question either. This should be fixed in a future update - no telling when, but there is no downside to the workaround as long as the correct DOB is changed back after entering the QCD.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My birthdate is between 7-1-1949 and 6-30-50 (over 70 1/2 last year) and I too was never questioned about (consequently unable to enter RMD or QCD) during my original 1099R edit.

I was successful, however; when I changed by birthdate to 1-1-49 and then edited my 1099-R as a RMD (although only a qualified charitable distribution)  from my financial institution.  I then changed my birthdate back...

I am currently using ver [20.1621], so I assume the bug has not been fixed.  I do appreciate the work around.

DMG

stclair
Returning Member

when will this be fixed?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies