Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Problem with Form 8962 - advanced premium tax credit

I've been trying to e-file my federal taxes. It keeps getting rejected because the return doesn't have the form 8962 (Premium Tax Credit).  I had my medical insurance through my state medicaid program and paid no premiums. I can't find anywhere in the program to indicate that, so I don't need this form. But when my return is rejected, it says I need th is form. Anyone know how I can get around this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ee-ea
Level 15

Error message F8962-006-01 is a code from the IRS to explain the rejection. It does refer to Form 8962, which reconciles the Advanced Premium Tax Credit from your Form 1095-A

Latest information for this code is "This return cannot be electronically filed at this time due to an IRS processing error that will be corrected on February 3, 2022. On, or after February 3, 2022, open the rejected return, review it for errors, and resubmit the return for electronic filing."

View solution in original post

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If you have already attempted to e-file your return, but were rejected with rejection code F8962-070, you may find that you will not be able to answer the ''Did you receive a Form 1095-A?'' question with a NO response.   When you select No, TurboTax will revert your selection back to Yes.

The reason you can’t change your response to NO, is because the 1095-A as well as Form 8962 are now included in your return.   But, if you do not have a 1095-A and know you will not be receiving one, you can delete the 1095-A from your return.  This will also remove the 8962 and allow you to change your answer to the 1095-A question to NO.   If you have confirmed that there is no 1095-A available from the Marketplace, follow the steps below.

1. Delete the 1095-A form - see below

2. Revisit the 1095-A section and answer NO to the 1095-A question

3. E-file your return again

To delete the 1095-A from TurboTax, when you are signed into your tax return:

1. Search for 1095-A or search for 1095-a and use the Jump to 1095-a link to be taken to the questions.   

2. Answer the question about unemployment and the next screen will show your 1095-A that was started.

3. Use the Delete button or the trash can icon depending on your version to delete the form.

4. Confirm the deletion. 

You can also delete the form in Forms Mode, if using the desktop software or by clicking on Tax Tools and then Tools, and then 'Delete a form' in TurboTax Online.

Once the form is gone, TurboTax will accept a NO answer and you can then re-submit your tax return.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

28 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Error message F8962-006-01 is a code from the IRS to explain the rejection. It does refer to Form 8962, which reconciles the Advanced Premium Tax Credit from your Form 1095-A

Latest information for this code is "This return cannot be electronically filed at this time due to an IRS processing error that will be corrected on February 3, 2022. On, or after February 3, 2022, open the rejected return, review it for errors, and resubmit the return for electronic filing."

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If you have already attempted to e-file your return, but were rejected with rejection code F8962-070, you may find that you will not be able to answer the ''Did you receive a Form 1095-A?'' question with a NO response.   When you select No, TurboTax will revert your selection back to Yes.

The reason you can’t change your response to NO, is because the 1095-A as well as Form 8962 are now included in your return.   But, if you do not have a 1095-A and know you will not be receiving one, you can delete the 1095-A from your return.  This will also remove the 8962 and allow you to change your answer to the 1095-A question to NO.   If you have confirmed that there is no 1095-A available from the Marketplace, follow the steps below.

1. Delete the 1095-A form - see below

2. Revisit the 1095-A section and answer NO to the 1095-A question

3. E-file your return again

To delete the 1095-A from TurboTax, when you are signed into your tax return:

1. Search for 1095-A or search for 1095-a and use the Jump to 1095-a link to be taken to the questions.   

2. Answer the question about unemployment and the next screen will show your 1095-A that was started.

3. Use the Delete button or the trash can icon depending on your version to delete the form.

4. Confirm the deletion. 

You can also delete the form in Forms Mode, if using the desktop software or by clicking on Tax Tools and then Tools, and then 'Delete a form' in TurboTax Online.

Once the form is gone, TurboTax will accept a NO answer and you can then re-submit your tax return.   

Well it is March 11, 2022 and even following the instructions it has rejected my return 4 times now

I went ahead and filed again letting the program know I did not have market place insurance ( the question just before) Turbo Tax continues to default back to putting a yes in regards to 1095-A. 

Crazy thing is those of us who have health insurance and received a 1095-B should never of had to deal with this 1095-A tax credit or questions. This needs to be corrected in Intuit's end!!!

And no Dawn, no 1095-A or 8962 in my forms. Looked in programs forms and printed forms to be sure

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

If you have e-filed your return and gotten an IRS rejection code for Form 8962, it could be because there is a partial entry in your return or because they have information from Healthcare.gov about Marketplace insurance and are looking for a 1095-A on your return to match their records. This might be because you or someone on your return began an application for insurance but did not actually enroll, or for some reason, Healthcare.gov erroneously has something connected to a social security number on your return. Forms 1095-B and 1095-C do not need to be filed and should be kept with your tax records. Please do not enter their information into TurboTax.

When our interview section Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A) for the Marketplace insurance reaches the screen, Did you receive Form 1095-A for your health insurance plan? It will default to "Yes." If you select "No" and Continue, it will not generate any Form 8962 information into your return. If you come back, it will default to "Yes" again, but it remained the "No" you selected until you came back into the area. This is as it should be.

In TurboTax Online, to ensure there is not a partially completed form in TurboTax, please check here to delete the form from your return. This will delete both the form and the entries. Please check for any Form 1095-A and also Form 8962.

1. To Delete a Form go black menu bar on the left
  2. Click on Tax Tools
  3. Click on Tools
  4. Under Other helpful links, click on Delete a Form
  5. Scroll down and check for 1095-A or 8962 and if there is one, click on Delete
  6. Click on the blue Delete Selected Form
  7. At the bottom, Continue
  8. Repeat until any Form 1095-A or From 8962 are deleted
  9. At the bottom, Continue with my Return

If you have already checked online at Healthcare.gov for Form 1095-A information and do not find what you need, you may wish to call them and see if there is any reason they would have told the IRS to expect a Form 1095-A. You may reach them at:

1-800-318-2596

(TTY: 1-855-889-4325)

Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except holidays)

Once you have resolved the Healthcare.gov information, the IRS should accept your e-file. In the past, they would accept the e-file but then route the returns with Marketplace questions for special processing that caused significant delays. This way the issue can be addressed, and your e-file should not be further delayed after it is accepted.

If you have checked the interview, deleted any partial forms, and checked with the Marketplace to ensure they do not have any applications associated with anyone on your return, yet are still receiving the rejection code, we would like to take a deeper look at this. It would help to have a diagnostic file, which is a sanitized copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed but has all of the forms and numbers entered. You can send one to us by following the directions below and posting the token number here so we can access the sanitized return.

TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in to your online account
  2. Click on Tax Tools on the left toolbar
  3. Select Tools
  4. In the pop-up screen, click on "Share my file with agent"
  5. Click OK on the message that a diagnostic file will be sanitized and transmitted to us
  6. Please post the Token Number

TurboTax Desktop/Download Versions:

1. Open your return
  2. Click the Online tab in the top menu bar
  3. Select "Send Tax File to Agent"
  4. Click Send on the message, and the tax file will be sanitized and transmitted to us
  5. Please post the Token Number
JeffL4

After reading this post, I shared my file with an agent and am now posting my token: 959765.   Thanks for any assistance.

my token number is 960821

I'm going in circles with Turbo Tax on this issue. I've been on the phone twice with no resolve. Both my husband and my heath insurance was issued by both of our employers and we don't have a 1095-a form. I've deleted the form, filled it out and deleted it, deleted it from the Tools section, and the return keeps getting rejected. I'm not sure what to do. Neither the 1095-a nor the Form 8962 are listed under the Tools section so I can't delete it from there. 

tmlieu

Any one have any clue on how to delete the 1095-A or Form 8962? I've deleted in the forms and resubmit but it keeps getting rejected and it keeps coming back. This is a nightmare. Can't seem to delete. Please help! I had coverage through employer the entire year. 

My token number is 995617

I just called Turbotax about this. They had me fill out 0 for the top two sections and then put $1 in the three January slots. They said the IRS knows this is how they have to get around this glitch. Hopefully that helps.

Keep rejected due to the 8962. I have 1095-B but did not receive 1095-A.  

My Token number is: 995743

Hi StarThief99 

Thank you for this! Where did you "fill out 0 in the top two sections and then put $1 in the three January slots." ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies