turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Brglotus
Returning Member

Premium Tax Credit with Drastic Changes, how will this affect our bottom line?

I'm going to try to keep this as to the point as possible, I promise!

I signed my family of 3 up for the Marketplace in November 2018 for the 2019 year.  I estimate our income and we were quoted a premium tax credit of $1229.

Yesterday I was informed by my employer that we would be receiving a holiday bonus this year, and I went into the Marketplace exchange to report this income ($3000.) Our credit went from $1229 to $842 which seemed like a huge jump for a modest increase..and no this did not inflate us into a new bracket.  We started in the 300-400 bracket and ended there with the bonus.

After speaking to multiple customer service representatives, we were told that on November 15th the Marketplace information updates and no changes should have been allowed to go through..but they did..and they could not retroactivate the information.

Our premium credit is based on the 2020 numbers which in our area went down because the costs of plans went down. The amount we will owe for November and December are much higher.

My question is this: Will we somehow be held accountable for January-November when we received the higher credit..will we have to pay back the over $4000 or will the first 11 months reflect the original amount and only the last month be affected?

I hope this makes sense and thank you for any information you can offer.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Sorry but the pay back is based on the entire year's income ... and it is unfair.    So the excess will be reported on the tax return form 8962 and paid back at that time. 

Brglotus
Returning Member

Will it at least be capped at the $2500 limit for the year?

Probably not ... read the line 28 instructions here :  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i8962--dft.pdf

Brglotus
Returning Member

Thank you for the worksheet.

I checked the line 28 information...we are not eligible for HCTC so none of those scenarios apply and we not above 400..not even close. Nobody is self employed and nobody was not lawfully present?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies