turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Outstanding mortgage principle, must have a value. there are cases where the value is at 0.00

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Outstanding mortgage principle, must have a value. there are cases where the value is at 0.00

Value for what purpose -- to compute allowable mortgage interest deduction? for estate filing and distribution of assets? or what ? 

jlrinard

So what do I put as it wants a number when we paid off the mortgage???

@jlrinard 

OK....If you are working on your 2019 tax return, that box 3 entry for the Form 1098, is actually the balance on 1/1/2019

….ie at the start of 2019, before you paid it off.

If you had your 1098 already, you'd see that it is, or should be, a positive-bigger number.   If you don't have your 1098 yet, just estimate a number for now, and Make Sure you return to the form in January to correct it.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Seems like a software programming oversight.  If this is a qualified home equity loan, your balance can be zero on Jan 1, 2019 and zero on Dec 31, 2019, and still have a qualifying interest expense.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@robertppoppe , yes , it is possible  but highly unlikely.  The programming is  generally geared to tackle  most common situations and the text of this particular provision in the statute is also written  the same way --- while  it does not disallow, it assumes  the usual scenario of a new or existing mortgage  with a term longer than one year -- the typical being 30 years.  If your case is such that mortgage was started after Jan 1 and was paid off before the end of the same year, you would have to have help Turbo by manipulating numbers by hand --- note that the reason the for the requirement of the Jan 1 and Dec 31st  amounts is to compute the average indebtedness for the year ( TCJA ).

Hope this helps

tonerw2

Will there not be an issue with the return if the value given for Item 2, Outstanding mortgage principal, does not agree with the Lenders Form 1098?

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Yes, your entry into TurboTax for box 2 of your Form 1098 should match the number on the actual 1098 you received from the lender.

@tonerw2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have this exact issue too.  "If this is a qualified home equity loan, your balance can be zero on Jan 1, 2019 and zero on Dec 31, 2019, and still have a qualifying interest expense."

I appreciate your answer, but I do not think is explains how to handle this situation when it does exist.  How do I handle this situation where box 2 is $0.00?

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

You can put in box 2 $1 for the balance on the loan and it will not affect your overall tax return and the program will give you the deduction for interest on the loan.

@bf5p8pf

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies