turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kkoerts

I need to remove the "Excess employer contributions withdrawn" under HSA. I have gone back several times under HSA but I cannot seem to get to this question.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I need to remove the "Excess employer contributions withdrawn" under HSA. I have gone back several times under HSA but I cannot seem to get to this question.

Once you enter that you will withdraw all the excess contribution, the TurboTax interview figures that you are finished with the process and won't show it again - even if you want to see it.

This is one method that I know of to force that question to reappear.

Go through the HSA interview. When you get to the screen entitled "Let's enter your HSA contributions" (see screen shot below) and look at the second line:"Any contributions you personally made (not through your employer)"). Enter a number here like 1,000 (be sure to remember this amount).

This should force another round of "you have excess contributions", which should open the question that will allow you to change the withdrawal amount.

Note that the suggested withdrawal amounts will have changed since you added another $1,000 in excess contributions. That's OK; you are just trying to reopen that dialogue.

Once you have changed the withdrawal amount to what you wanted in the first place, now go back to the screen entitled "Let's enter your HSA contributions" and remove that $1,000 personal contribution that you added. Step through the HSA interview to make sure that everything is the way you want it.

wwhend1

#1 - This didn't work. #2 - Really? This is your solution. You don't think that maybe ... fixing the functional deficiency in the software would be a better way to go?

MikeMouse

The question you want to answer "yes" to is "Did you overfund your HSA in 2020." Enter a value larger than your High Deductible amount to renew the prompt of "You may want to withdraw money from your HSA."

This time, select "No, I'm not going to make this withdrawal." 

Continue through the prompts one more time with all the actual answers and you should be all set.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

One of the disadvantages of the dynamic nature of the interview screens in TurboTax is that sometimes it is difficult to get back to the screen that you want.

The amount of "excess employer contributions withdrawn" is on of those variables that TurboTax hangs on to. In this case, rather than doing the method I suggested several years ago above (it was well prior to June 2019), I have found that the following method is more effective for general purpose clearing of HSA entries so you can start over.

To delete all HSA data so that you can start over, please do the following:

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen)

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

6. go back and redo the entire HSA interview.

Now, you will see all the HSA as they were in the original interview, allowing you to change the amount withdrawn.

@MikeMouse

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies