Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On mileage my daily commute is 4 miles it saying that number is too h igh

Well why can't I put 4 miles that what I travel to and from work
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

Can you clarify if this is for self-employed income or W2 income? It should ask how many total miles for the period of the first 6 months, then the last six months in accordance with IRS guidelines for 2022. Your total miles should be greater than your miles driven for business purposes, unless you use this car 100% for business use if self employed or own a business, it must be equal to total miles and miles for those two periods of time. For example I drove 5000 total miles. 2000 were the first part of year and 3000 were for the second part of year, my car is used only for business. Remember to enter your personal miles.

Keep in mind:

Commuting miles are the miles you drive to and from your regular place of employment. They are a personal expense and are not deductible.

If you are self-employed and your office is located in your home, you can deduct miles you travel to meet with business clients or perform other business-related functions. If your office is located away from your home, you cannot deduct miles you travel to go to your office.

If you are an employee, your regular place of employment is an established office of a company where you work as either a permanent or temporary employee. You cannot deduct mileage even if you work in the car while commuting to your regular place of employment.

You can deduct:
- Travel between two or more workplaces in the same day (even if it's for the same employer)
- Travel between your home and a temporary work location inside your metropolitan work area (if you have no regular place of business)
- Travel between your home and a temporary work location inside or outside of your metropolitan work area - generally for projects that last only a few days or weeks - if you have one or more regular places of business.

@margie1962

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you are a W-2 employee, no work mileage is deductible on your federal return.  You are allowed to enter it in the program because it may be deductible on your state return (not all states, and there are other limits.)

You can deduct work-related mileage for self-employment, but as noted, you can't deduct commuting.  The rules are in chapter 4 here. https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-463

I believe the problem is that sometimes, Turbotax assumes you can't do math.  Turbotax wants you to tell it all your work miles (including commuting), using your mileage records.  Then it wants your daily commute, and it will multiply by the number of work days and subtract from the total.  For example, if you say you drove 2000 miles for work, and had a 4 mile commute, Turbotax will take 4 miles x 2 ways x 240 work days = 1920 commuting miles, so 80 miles were not commuting and would be deductible.  

If you have a mileage record for your work-related trips (a log book, diary, or software tracking app) and you already didn't count the commute, then you can enter the work miles you want to deduct and put zero for the commute since you already excluded it.  If your total mileage does include commuting, then make sure your total work miles for the year is more than your commute.  

Or maybe all your miles are for commuting and they aren't deductible. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies