turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ON FORM 8829 QUESTION A,B,C, AREA FOR DAYCARE 660, PARTLY FOR DAYCARE 340 AND TOTAL AREA OF HOME1000. WHY WONT IT OK TO FILE? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

ON FORM 8829 QUESTION A,B,C, AREA FOR DAYCARE 660, PARTLY FOR DAYCARE 340 AND TOTAL AREA OF HOME1000. WHY WONT IT OK TO FILE? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Are you looking at the actual form?  If so:

1. Make sure the box is checked above Question A, B, C.
  2. Make sure Question D and E have the hours.
  3. Make sure Lines 1 and 2 are BLANK.

On the intuit web site it won’t let me. So what do I do?

LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

Since the Home Office for a Daycare business is based on a time and square footage computation, revisit the Home Office Expense Section under Business Expenses.  It seems the business percentage of time should be less than 100%.

Follow these steps:

1. -Select the Business Tab,
  2. Business Income and expenses,
  3. Select Home Office Expense
  4. Select "Yes" to Daycare Provider..
  5. Partly is 340 Exclusively is 660 total is 1000
  6. How may hours per day -12

Special rules apply if you qualify for home office deductions under the day care exception to the exclusive-use test. Your business-use percentage must be discounted because the space is available for personal use part of the time. To do that, you compare the number of hours the day care business is operated, including preparation and cleanup time, to the total number of hours in the year (8,760).

Assume you use 100% of your house for a day care business that operates 12 hours a day, five days a week for 50 weeks of the year. That’s 3,000 hours out of the total of 8,760 hours in the year. That’s 34% of the available hours, so your business write-off percentage is 34%

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies