turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On Form 8379 Line 17 for column (a) can i add the child tax credit and the additional child tax credit as a total?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnW222
Expert Alumni

On Form 8379 Line 17 for column (a) can i add the child tax credit and the additional child tax credit as a total?

No.  According to the Instructions for Form 8379  for line 17(a) for Tax Year 2019:

"Include any tax credits (except the earned income credit) reported on Form 1040 or 1040-SR, line 13a, or Schedule 3 (Form 1040 or 1040-SR)."

[Bolding mine.]

Form 1040, line 13a, is the Child Tax Credit or Credit for Other Dependents.

Schedule 3 includes a number of other credits, but not the Additional Child Credit, which is reported on line 18b of Form 1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you JohnW222, but that brings up another question. On my 1040 i dont see a schedule 3 form, where do i find the other credits? Or am i over thinking this and should just add the total from line 13a on the 1040 to line 17a on the form?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Use the number from line 13a as the entry for line 17a on Form 8379. 

If you do not have Schedule 3 included as part of your return, then you did not have any 'other' nonrefundable credits.  Your Form 1040 line 13b should be the same number as line 13a -- indicating that nothing was reported on Schedule 3.

@yeseniaf2128

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. I appreciate that. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies