turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kazy99

New born

How can I add my new born baby to my IRS so I can be getting monthly tax credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Nick-K-EA
Expert Alumni

New born

A child who is born this year is eligible for the child tax credit. If you do nothing now, you'll receive the credit when you file your return. A newborn is also eligible for advance child tax credit payments, but the IRS has not yet set up the mechanism to tell them about the child.  They expect to have this feature available late in the summer, at which time it will be on the portal:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/child-tax-credit-update-portal

Nick K, EA

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

New born

If the child was born in 2021, then you can't add that child to your 2020 tax return. You will just get any credits due when you file your 2021 tax return, which you can't do until 2021. In other words, you will get any credits due. You just won't get them in advance.

Nick-K-EA
Expert Alumni

New born

A child who is born this year is eligible for the child tax credit. If you do nothing now, you'll receive the credit when you file your return. A newborn is also eligible for advance child tax credit payments, but the IRS has not yet set up the mechanism to tell them about the child.  They expect to have this feature available late in the summer, at which time it will be on the portal:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/child-tax-credit-update-portal

Nick K, EA
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies