turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My in-laws decided to pay for my kids childcare directly. Do I still provide amount paid to provider on Form 2441?

I had money set aside for the Dependent Care Flexible Savings Account, but my in-laws decided to pay the daycare directly. I was able to get my DCFSA money out, but now filling out the 2441 it's asking why I put "0.00" for expenses. It's unusual, but pretty sure I cannot put the expenses incurred by my in-laws as my Daycare expenses.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My in-laws decided to pay for my kids childcare directly. Do I still provide amount paid to provider on Form 2441?

Actually--you can.    They cannot claim the daycare on their own return because they cannot get childcare credit for a child not claimed as a dependent on their own tax return.   Your in-laws gave you a gift---you can claim the childcare credit that was paid by that gift.  Gifts are not taxable and do not have to be reported on your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Actually--you can.    They cannot claim the daycare on their own return because they cannot get childcare credit for a child not claimed as a dependent on their own tax return.   Your in-laws gave you a gift---you can claim the childcare credit that was paid by that gift.  Gifts are not taxable and do not have to be reported on your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Great! Thanks for the help! I didn't consider that as a gift, but makes sense. Appreciate it!

Hal_Al
Level 15

I agree with @xmasbaby0 , you can claim the dependent care credit, based on that gift  payment.  However, it would be better, for "proof" purposes, in the future,  if they gave you the money and let you make the payment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies