Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband will be starting a new truck driving career this year (2020) but started purchasing tools, parts, & other equipment for his semi & related to his new career in December of 2019; my question

Is: where and how do I enter those expenses?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

My husband will be starting a new truck driving career this year (2020) but started purchasing tools, parts, & other equipment for his semi & related to his new career in December of 2019; my question

If your husband is an employee of the trucking company and is paid with a W-2, you are unable to deduct any of the tools, parts and other equipment he purchased. Prior to 2018 he would have been able to deduct these expenses in the Miscellaneous Deductions subject to 2% floor as Employee Deductions.

Under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act the miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% floor was eliminated unless you are an Armed Forces reservist, a qualified performing artist, a fee-basis state or local government official, or an employee with impairment-related work expenses

Due to the elimination of miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% floor, employees who do not fit into one of the listed categories cannot deduct employee business expenses.

If your husband is paid with a 1099-Misc as a contract employee, he would report the income through the self-employment section. He would also then would be able to deduct the purchase of tools, parts, and other equipment in this section.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

If your husband is an employee of the trucking company and is paid with a W-2, you are unable to deduct any of the tools, parts and other equipment he purchased. Prior to 2018 he would have been able to deduct these expenses in the Miscellaneous Deductions subject to 2% floor as Employee Deductions.

Under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act the miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% floor was eliminated unless you are an Armed Forces reservist, a qualified performing artist, a fee-basis state or local government official, or an employee with impairment-related work expenses

Due to the elimination of miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% floor, employees who do not fit into one of the listed categories cannot deduct employee business expenses.

If your husband is paid with a 1099-Misc as a contract employee, he would report the income through the self-employment section. He would also then would be able to deduct the purchase of tools, parts, and other equipment in this section.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Very Helpful

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies