turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It asked me to check the box for Have you completed your post-secondary education? I answered no, but it should be yes. How can I go back and change it to yes?

I thought post-secondary was college, and after looking it up, I found out it was high school. My federal refund dropped drastically, so I need to go back and change the answer to yes. Does anyone know how to do that on Turbo Tax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PattiF
Expert Alumni

It asked me to check the box for Have you completed your post-secondary education? I answered no, but it should be yes. How can I go back and change it to yes?

The IRS Instructions for Form 8863 on Page 3, at the top left column, no. 1., defines postsecondary education as the freshman through senior years of college. Postsecondary education is not high school.

Here is a link to information about the education credits:  Education Credits

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

The IRS Instructions for Form 8863 on Page 3, at the top left column, no. 1., defines postsecondary education as the freshman through senior years of college. Postsecondary education is not high school.

Here is a link to information about the education credits:  Education Credits

Both me and my wife were full time students at UNT during 2020. I checked no because we had not completed our post-secondary education. Why would it drop our refund? Or should the box be checked yes?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If you are still in undergraduate college then the answer is No.  I have not completed my post-secondary education.

To be able to claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit or the lifetime learning credit (LLC), you must have received the Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, for you or your dependent from an eligible educational institution either in the U.S. or abroad.

To be eligible for AOTC, the student must:

• Be pursuing a degree or other recognized education credential.
  • Be enrolled at least half time for at least one academic period* beginning in the tax year.
  • Not have finished the first four years of higher education at the beginning of the tax year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies