Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

natcryan1

If my dependent's name does not appear in the "Choose a name..." dropdown menu for the Child and Dep. Care, but is already under my dependents, what should I do?

I started to complete my information on turbotaxonline and then decided to use the software instead.  I've gone back and deleted my information from the website, but the software still does not show my child in the drop down menu.  Nobody else has claimed her.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If my dependent's name does not appear in the "Choose a name..." dropdown menu for the Child and Dep. Care, but is already under my dependents, what should I do?

You can enter her name there.  But, why wouldn't it just populate.  Check her age of the child.

To qualify for this credit, you must meet all of these criteria:

• You (and your spouse, if filing jointly) must have earned income.
    • The earned income requirement for one spouse is waived if s/he was a full-time student or disabled (if they lived with your spouse for more than 6 months in 2020).
    •  
  • You paid caregiving expenses so that you (and your spouse, if filing jointly) could work or look for work.
    • The work/look for work requirement for one spouse is waived if s/he was a full-time student or disabled (if they lived with the other spouse for more than 6 months in 2020).
  • You paid a caregiver to care for a Qualifying Person. The caregiver can't be:
    • Your spouse
    • Your dependent
    • Your child if they were under 19 on the last day of 2020, even if not your dependent
    • The parent of the Qualifying Person, if the Qualifying Person is your child under the age of 13 during 2020
  • You can't file with the Married Filing Separately filing status (except under certain circumstances).
  • You must furnish the care provider's name, address, and (unless it's a tax-exempt organization) their SSN, ITIN, or EIN on your return.

The credit is worth anywhere from 20% to 35% of your qualified expenses, up to $3,000 (for one qualifying person) and $6,000 (for two or more qualifying persons). Your percentage depends on your AGI, with the higher percentages applying to lower incomes and vice-versa.

TurboTax will determine your eligibility and calculate the maximum credit allowed.

See this link for more details:  What Is the Child and Dependent Care Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
natcryan1

Thank you for your response.  I tried entering her name there and that doesn't seem to be an option.  She is only 9 months old.   

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Did you enter that she lived with you all year or just 6 months?

There is a message in the instructions that if she was born during the year to enter that she lived with you "the whole year" instead of just selecting 6 months.

If you only entered six months then go back to the dependent section and change it and that should fix your problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies