Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

I want to remove the adoption credit worksheet

Thank you for this additional information. Sometimes people are not able to take advantage of all of the adoption expense credit in one year, due to limitations.  You can't use more of the credit than you have in tax liability that year. It can roll the credit forward for 5 years and hopefully be able to use all of it during that time. I think it is trying to roll a carryover for you.  

You were able to claim all of your expenses in 2019 and did not see the worksheet in 2020?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So is the adoption worksheet something I fill out every year then for those 5 years? 

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will need to complete the worksheet for each of the five years you have a credit to carryforward.  While the Adoption Credit Carryforward Worksheet has 23 lines, if all that needs to be done in a given year is to carryforward the credit, you will need to complete less than half of the worksheet.  

@pgirl4ever

Thank you! I wasn’t sure. I keep trying to fill it out, but it won’t let me get past the that says is the adoption final. I click yes then it says to add the year but it won’t let me move past that question at all. Is there an easier place this form is at where I can get it filled out? I’m not sure why it’s doing that. 

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

There may be a carryover credit amount for qualified adoption expenses generating Form 8839 Qualified Adoptive Child Worksheet. The credit is limited to the amount of your tax liability, so sometimes people cannot use all of it in the first year or two, and it can carry forward for up to 5 years.  Even if you cannot use the credit this year, TurboTax is trying to carry it forward on your records so that you can use it next year or the following year.

• If you are using TurboTax Online, the most likely reason for buttons that don't work or not being able to enter information is that something in the web browser is not displaying the page properly.  The easiest way around this is to simply use a different web browser.  You can select from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, and more.   If you need to install another browser, be sure to go to the trusted home site for the software for security reasons. Or you can clear the cache and cookies in your current browser.  Click this link for a TurboTax Help Article Clear cache and cookies

Then try to complete the questions in the Adoption Credit section. They should now display properly.

• If you are using the Turbo Mobile App, then try opening Turbo Tax in the browser window on your phone.  It will use the same login information but may display the page better.
  • If you are using a touch screen, please try a keyboard and see if that makes a difference.

• If you are using the TurboTax Desktop for Windows version, you can complete this in Forms mode if it is not displaying properly in Step-by-Step mode.
  1. Please go to the upper right-hand corner and click on Forms; it will show you a list of all the forms in the return along the left column
  2. At the top left, there is a blue File box icon for Open Form, and please click on this
  3. Where it says Type in Form Name, type in 8839
  4. It will suggest Form 8839: Adoption Credit  Highlight this
  5. Then click on the blue button Open Form at the bottom of the dialog square
  6. If it asks you to select an existing form to open, highlight the selection and click Open FormThis will bring up Form 8839 in the central pane and you can select boxes or make entries for the date and year adoption final. 

When you are finished, just click on Step-by-Step in the upper right to toggle back to the Interview mode.

This should allow you to complete the form, carry any unused credits forward for next year, and pass Review without any flags. 

For anyone else having this trouble this is how I remedy this situation.    I added a kid I’d already adopted and entered zero for all the amounts for any expense.  That got the program to realize we did not qualify for the credit and the forms were gone.   This was the only way we could get it to work.  

Its a browser issue. Please try this in chrome

Wickers2

I had to fill out the form with one of my children than it showed up for me to delete it under tools 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies