Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I thought you could use your earned income tax credit from last year on this year but I didn't get one this year why

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I thought you could use your earned income tax credit from last year on this year but I didn't get one this year why

Yes, There is a “lookback” option that allows you to use your 2019 amounts for earned income credit or child tax credit.   You can pick whichever amount gives you a better tax refund for your 2020 refund.

You can go to the earned income credit section in Deductions and Credits. 

You still MUST enter all of your 2020 income into your 2020 tax return, including any unemployment you received.

Please follow these steps in TurboTax:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the Search box on the top and type "EIC"
  3. Click on “Jump to EIC”
  4. Answer the questions until you reach the screen "Do you want to use last year’s earned income?"
  5. Note your current refund amount using your 2020 earned income at the top of the screen.
  6. Click "Yes", enter your "2019 Earned Income" if the field is blank and click "continue".
  7. Compare the new refund amount using your 2019 earned income with the previously noted refund amount using your 2020 earned income.

I want to use my 2019 tax return to file for 2020 ... (intuit.com)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dawnn1

I did not receive my Earned Income credit this year and can not seem to figure out why? I have always received it in the past. When I switched back to 2019 year and compared it to 2020 year my refund did not change. I have two dependents under the age 24 and they lived with me more that 7 months out of the year... Plus I am under the income limit!  Please help!

I've already filed and want to know if I should Amend my taxes??  

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

The option of using your 2019 income for a 2020 Earned Income Tax Credit only applies if your income was higher in 2019 and if it would result in a higher credit on the 2020 return. It is not the same as you getting your 2019 Earned Income Credit amount on your 2020 tax return, only the option of using that amount of income if it was more. If you earned more in 2020, it does not apply. If your "dependents" are between 19 and 24, but not a student, they may no longer be your dependents for the Earned Income Tax Credit. 

TurboTax Explains Earned Income Tax Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies