turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid for medical expenses without using my HSA card i added what i spent to the contributions i made and it asked if i was going to withdrawal it. Am i adding this in the wrong spot?

This is the first year i have had an HSA account. I am having a lot of issues of how i am supposed to add it to the taxes. So i added the 1099 SA form and it decreased my refund. I added what i have spent on my own for medical expenses this year not using my HSA card i thought i was to add that to the contribution spot but then after i added it there it is asking me if i am going to withdrawal it from the HSA so i am thinking this is not where this goes because i have nothing on my hsa card i used all that for medical expenses already the 9388 i had to use was out of pocket so i need help. i am doing something wrong

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I paid for medical expenses without using my HSA card i added what i spent to the contributions i made and it asked if i was going to withdrawal it. Am i adding this in the wrong spot?

Only contributions to the HSA are entered and HSA contributions section then later in the HSA distributions section only enter the same amount for medical expenses paid with the HSA account so they offset .   Any expenses paid out of pocket goes on the the Sch A  UNLESS  you will reimburse yourself later from the HSA account. .

The HSA is handled in 3 parts in the TT program :

First the contribution:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4557768

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4785646

Next the limitations screen to confirm you are eligible to make the contributions:

Until you complete the HSA portion of the TurboTax interview to establish your eligibility for an HSA contribution, TurboTax will treat the amount entered on the W-2 form as an excess HSA contribution.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4788059

And lastly any distribution:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4787864

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, wrong spot.  Make no changes to your contributions.  Enter your 1099-SA and indicate it all spent on qualified medical expenses.   Any medical expenses you paid for out of pocket can be claimed on Schedule A if you itemize deductions.   You would be able to get reimbursed from your HSA account, but if there is no money left in the account, you can't get reimbursed.  

The IRS won't let you deduct medical expenses paid with HSA or MSA funds. Those funds are already tax-free and deducting them as medical expenses would be double-dipping.

When you get to the medical deduction section in TurboTax, enter all your medical expenses, including those you paid from your HSA or MSA.  We'll subtract the portion paid from your HSA/MSA (as reported on your 1099-SA form) so you don't deduct them again as medical expenses.

Medical, dental, and vision expenses are reported on Schedule A and entered in the Deductions & Credits section.

1. With your return open, search for Schedule A and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  2. Answer Yes on the Did you spend more than $3,000 on medical expenses in 2020? screen.
  3. Enter your medical expenses, starting with prescriptions, on the following screens.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies