turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I opened an HSA account in 2020. Can I make contributions to it before April 2020 and deduct my income for the 2019 tax filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

I opened an HSA account in 2020. Can I make contributions to it before April 2020 and deduct my income for the 2019 tax filing?

Yes, according to IRS 2019 Publication Health Savings Accounts and Other Tax-Favored Health Plans, page 8, you can make contributions to your HSA for 2019 until April 15, 2020.

See pages 2-11 for more details on Health Savings Accounts.

@rashilodhi

Hey @KathrynG3  thanks for responding to my question. All my 2020 contributions are showing up in my 2020 1099- SA. My 2019 1099-SA is blank since I had a FSA in 2019 which is closed now. The Health Equity agent said that I can’t make any 2020 contributions to my HSA to count towards reducing my 2019 taxable income. Is that accurate? 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

"All my 2020 contributions are showing up in my 2020 1099- SA. " - that can't be right - the 1099-SA reports on distribution (money you spent), not contributions. But if you spend as much money as you put in, it may seem like the 1099-SA shows contributions.

"The Health Equity agent said that I can’t make any 2020 contributions to my HSA to count towards reducing my 2019 taxable income. Is that accurate? " - yes. You can't contribute to 2019's HSA if you were not eligible to do so because you had a Health FSA at the same time.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies