turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

letmeask

I'm curious if I have enough proof to deduct mileage. I have handwritten mileage log with dates, fore and after mileage, and the newspaper route numbers for each trip.

that's about all of it. I'm not sure if the IRS will want more evidence other than my log. Also i'm not sure how to provide the IRS with my log information, I'm trying to use an efile site and it had me enter vehicle information and the mileage I claim but didn't have me enter any evidence.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Melaine

I'm curious if I have enough proof to deduct mileage. I have handwritten mileage log with dates, fore and after mileage, and the newspaper route numbers for each trip.

Yes, you have enough evidence.  The evidence that the IRS require is a mileage log, whether copies of the one from the IRS website, one made, electronically or one bought in a store.  As long as you have the following as evidence it should be enough to prove your mileage claim.

Date of trip

Destination

Business Purpose of trip

Miles for trip

Odometer readings (before you begin the trip and at the end)

Also, if you review IRS Publication linked here, you will find a sample of the log at the end of the publication.  This should help guide you as to what you will need to prove mileage.  For more information, please read the following article on Business Use of Vehicles.

You will not have to turn in this evidence or record it in your return.  You, however, will need to keep this record for three years after the filing of your return in event the IRS do require to see it.

letmeask

Theres not necessarily a destination its a paper route so a big loop through a bunch of neighborhoods and then back to destination. what would you say I should put in that section? the pieces of information I was gonna include for example were date 1/1/2017 mileage before 219416 mileage after 219436, total mileage 20 windhelm paper route # 140404. would something like that be alright?

I have date, start time and time of delivery, also start and end time of bagging papers, start/end mileage, total time, time mileage

Great news! You have just the right amount of information.  Remember you don't actually need to submit your log unless you are audited by the IRS.  You only need to have record of your mileage on hand in case you are requested for more information during an audit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies