turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a Virginia resident and our state taxes are still due on 1 May. Can I file state taxes in May and federal taxes in July (yes I owe)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

I'm a Virginia resident and our state taxes are still due on 1 May. Can I file state taxes in May and federal taxes in July (yes I owe)?

Remember that the act of paying tax due is separate from filing the paperwork (your return).

I am not sure what you mean here, but note that you shouldn't file your state return until your file your federal return, because the state normally wants a copy of it (and I am not sure that TurboTax will even let you try).

But, having said that, if you file both returns by May 1st, you still don't have to pay your federal return using the 1040-V voucher or an online payment method until July 15th.

See IRS Payments for various online payment options.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

Remember that the act of paying tax due is separate from filing the paperwork (your return).

I am not sure what you mean here, but note that you shouldn't file your state return until your file your federal return, because the state normally wants a copy of it (and I am not sure that TurboTax will even let you try).

But, having said that, if you file both returns by May 1st, you still don't have to pay your federal return using the 1040-V voucher or an online payment method until July 15th.

See IRS Payments for various online payment options.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies