Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I keep getting check this entry and it says 1040/1040SR Wks. Excess FICA Withheld. When I go to adjust in to put no value. I have only put in 1 W2. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

29 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I keep getting check this entry and it says 1040/1040SR Wks. Excess FICA Withheld. When I go to adjust in to put no value. I have only put in 1 W2. What do I do?

Please go back through the entry screen for your W-2 and carefully check the numbers in Box 5 and box 6. Make sure they match the paper W-2. The program is saying that too much tax was withheld. 

You can find the W-2 under FEDERAL and then under Wages & Income

Click EDIT next to your W-2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have verified that box 5 and 6 match the paper W-2. Can I remove the value from the 1040? 

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

If you have verified that the Social Security withheld has been entered on the W-2's correctly and you still receive the following screen with the message You may have paid too much Social Security tax in 2019 you might not need to do anything on your return.

If all of the individual W-2 Social Security withheld amounts on the W-2's equals 6.2% of the Social Security wages the total of all your W-2 Social Security withholding could exceed $8,239.80. If this is the case, you will receive a refund on your return on the excess automatically. The total needs to added for each individual on the return and not the total of all W-2's.

If the Social Security Taxes are 6.2% of the Social Security wages on any one W-2 you need to contact the employer. 

If the employer withheld too much social security you can't claim the excess as a credit against your income tax. Your employer should adjust the excess for you. If the employer doesn't adjust the over collection, you can use Form 843 - Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement  to claim a refund. IRS.gov Topic No. 608 Excess Social Security and RRTA Tax Withheld

thedigital1
Returning Member

Everything is entered correctly from my W2 and it will not like me continue to e-file, this is such a headache 

I don't know what to put in this value 'Total Excess Social Security or Tier I RRTA tax withheld claimed as a credit' 

I don't have that information

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

This happens if you have more than one employer for the tax year and the total Social Security tax  tier 1 tax withheld was over the limit for that tax year, This is calculated by adding the W-2 social security amounts withheld and subtracting $8239.80, the maximum amount that can be withheld in the 2019 tax year. 

One common error that can occur is that if you have a W2 listed for yourself and for your wife, check to see if each W2 has the right spouse listed. There have been occasions where the wrong spouse was listed on a W2 and it triggered this type of error. Check your W2's to make sure the right spouses are listed as the Taxpayer.

thedigital1
Returning Member

I'm sorry but I have double checked and i am filing as single (i am not married) and i only had one employer the entire year. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. i've double checked everything, its basically the some info from last year's filing.  I'm so frustrated with this 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Check your W2 and tell me what amount is reported in box 4 under social security tax withheld.

I’m having the same issue. My tax withholding is exactly 6.2% and not more than $8239.80

LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

Since you only had one employer, I recommend deleting the W-2 and re-entering the information.  This often will clear up the error.

1. Go to the Forms W-2 & W-2G Summary.
  2. Select delete next to your W-2
  3. Re-enter the W-2 information
Mark641

I have one W2, and I am getting the same error:  1040/1040SR Wks:  Virtual currency check boxes must be entered.  I deleted the W2 and typed it in manually.  Same result.  Any ideas?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You may have accidentally indicated that you traded cryptocurrency during the year. To check this, go to:

1. tax tools>tools>topic search> type in cryptocurrency
  2. if you did not deal in cryptocurrency, say "no."

This should be the only place that addresses cryptocurrency.

For the "virtual currency check boxes must be entered" message in TT , in Additional Income, you need to select that you did not have any financial interest in a virtual currency.

I found this on the 1040/1040SR Wks form, at the top of Schedule 1

DFreeman1
Returning Member

I have verified the amounts on both of the W-2 as correct and at 6.2%. I deleted both W-2 and  typed them in again. I am still getting this error. Any other suggestions as I’m getting frustrated and totally upset?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

If you have more than one employer, more than one W-2, then it's possible you do have excess FICA.  When there are two or more employers it is the only time this can happen. 

The fact that each employer did withhold 6.2% would be correct.  The problem, for you, occurs when the total earnings between the employers is greater than a certain amount.  For 2020, that amount is $137,700 (total social security tax of $8,537.40).  

When this occurs, then you have a right to receive a refund of the difference because both employers paid what that were required to pay to the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies