turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Internet and Cable is Bundled and cannot split out the cost -- How can I expense my internet for my home office expenses?

We have a bundled package of internet and cable from comcast but it doesn't split out the cost between the two. How should I go about deducting the expense for the internet piece of it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

Internet and Cable is Bundled and cannot split out the cost -- How can I expense my internet for my home office expenses?

I have the same situation with the same provider. 

I made a good faith effort to allocate the cost to each service. 

I called the provider and asked how much each service would be if purchased separately. I added those two costs and figured out what percentage (of the "total") was cable and what percentage (of the "total") was internet. I then applied those percentages to the actual total bill I was paying for the bundle.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ToddL

I have the same situation with the same provider. 

I made a good faith effort to allocate the cost to each service. 

I called the provider and asked how much each service would be if purchased separately. I added those two costs and figured out what percentage (of the "total") was cable and what percentage (of the "total") was internet. I then applied those percentages to the actual total bill I was paying for the bundle.

can you share what percentages you came up with? I know each persons situation will be different but just to get an idea? 

jtax
Level 10

I like the splitting based on the un-bundled price, but how are you going to figure out, support, and document the work portion of the Internet vs. the personal use portion (web surfing, shopping, streaming)?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies