Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cesar0

I have Chronic Dry Eyes. and use non-prescription eye drops on a regular basis. Are they deductible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

I have Chronic Dry Eyes. and use non-prescription eye drops on a regular basis. Are they deductible?

The deductibility of medical expenses depends on your adjusted gross income. For 2018 the rules state that medical expenses would have to exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income in order to be deductible. Additionally, you would have to itemize your deductions in order to deduct medical expenses. 

Below is a useful link explaining what may or may not be  a deductible medical expense

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502

But are eye drops specifically deductible if you able to deduct medical expenses?

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

If the OTC drops are necessary to the care and maintenance of contact lenses, then they are deductible. However, if they are not used for this purpose and are OTC, then they are not deductible. See page 16 of IRS Publication 502.

@photobug56

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Ajfinanz

My optometrist prescribed an OTC eye drop for my dry eye disease, requiring the purchase of at least 2 boxes per month. Could the cost be deductible on my taxes?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@Ajfinanz  If you have a prescription it is always deductible.

I have the same issue and some other eye diseases that also require OTC meds, and it seems no one can answer the question, or even read the question.  Hope you finally get someone who will read it and give the right answer.

It seems very clear that the only non-prescription med you can deduct is insulin.

A side note for further illustration.  I have a med that is prescribed for me and I pick it up under my health insurance, with a small copay.  Oddly, I can also walk into a certain big box store and just grab one and pay for it on my own.  I'm not sure which way is cheaper, though I think my insurance is not actually paying anything when I get it under my prescription.  So, when I pay for it in the store, not deductible.  In the pharmacy, assuming I meet the floor, and I have enough in general to itemize, I can deduct it.

It's a royal PITA to have a medical condition that requires meds that may be expensive but not deductible.  Makes little sense, IMHO.  But I didn't write this insane tax code.

Oddly, one of my kids is T1D, and uses insulin.  We can't get it without a prescription.  But if we could, what we pay would be deductible.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

No. As stated by @photobug56, you can't include in medical expenses amounts you pay for a drug that isn't prescribed (except for insulin). A prescribed drug is one that requires a prescription by a doctor for its use by an individual. This includes medicines that are recommended by a doctor but do not require a prescription, such as over-the-counter eye drops.

For more information, please see Publication 502.

@Cesar0

@camprunamuck2003

On the contrary, you can deduct and I quote,  "What OTC medical supplies are deductible? Nonprescription items such as contact lens cleaner, saline, bandages, crutches, thermometers, or blood sugar meters and test strips are deductible if they are related to medical care for a health condition. " AND "Tax-deductible medical expenses are only items that are used primarily to alleviate or prevent a specific health condition.  

However, vitamins and supplements are deductible when specifically recommended by a medical professional as a treatment for a diagnosed medical condition—for example, iron supplements to treat anemia or vitamin D to treat low vitamin D status."

"Medical expenses are things you paid for during the year that relate to the diagnosis, management, treatment, or prevention of disease." 

Of course the IRS changes things constantly and there are varying opinions, but if, as the IRS says, a vitamin or OTC item is recommended by your doctor for a condition, not just for your comfort or well-being, then eye drops SHOULD be deductible, if they are used for a medical condition you are being treated for.  I say SHOULD, but ask two tax agents and neither will agree.

The instructions are, IMHO, somewhat contradictory.

I'm curious - how much do these eye drops cost per year?  Don't answer that, though.  What I'm really after - 1. do you have enough deductions to itemize, and 2. do you exceed the floor, I think 7.5%?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies