Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msmia43
Returning Member

I didn't get the child credit for the stimulus because I didn't claim him in 2019 but he lived with me in 2020. How do I get that credit? The other parent didn't receive it because he made too much money.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I didn't get the child credit for the stimulus because I didn't claim him in 2019 but he lived with me in 2020. How do I get that credit? The other parent didn't receive it because he made too much money.

Yes you can get both the 1st & 2nd rounds on your 2020 return if you are claiming him and he is under 17 on Dec 31, 2020.

When you go through the federal review tab it will ask how much you already got if any. Or to enter your stimulus payment in TurboTax, type "stimulus" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to stimulus." Say no to the amounts it shows you. Then 2 boxes will open up for each round. If you didn't get one enter a 0 in the box.

After you have entered your tax information and are ready for the Federal Review, it will be the first question.

If you are trying to trigger it, you can go to Federal - Other Tax Situations, answer any questions and click Done. The next automatic selection is Federal Review and it will ask about payments received.

The Recovery rebate credit is on 1040 line 30. It either adds to your refund or reduces a tax due.

msmia43
Returning Member

I got this answer too late. Unfortunately, I already sent send. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can file an amendment after the IRS processes your original return if you did not claim a credit that you qualify for.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies