Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wattsjl

I am on the page to put in real estate tax paid this year and program will not allow me to enter the amount, on primary home. Please assist . please send response to [email address removed]. thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

I am on the page to put in real estate tax paid this year and program will not allow me to enter the amount, on primary home. Please assist . please send response to [email address removed]. thank you

Occasionally, the cookies and cache cause a problem remembering entries you do not want.  Be sure to clear these often.  When going through this section in TurboTax there are no issue in making an entry in either of the boxes highlighted in the image below.

If you're a homeowner, your property taxes are entered in the Deductions & Credits section:

1. Sign in and open your return if you're not already in it.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search (upper right) for property tax > Press Enter > select the Jump to link at the top of your search results.
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you pay property or real estate taxes in 2020?
  4. Enter your property/real estate taxes on the next screen.

You can also choose to enter them with your Form 1098, mortgage interest if you choose.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rsogburn
Returning Member

I have the same problem. TurboTax will not accept an entry into a field on the screen - using laptop version, not the web version.

Please send a fix asap.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. Are you trying to enter this directly on a form or using the prescribed manner as DianeW77 has mentioned at the top? If you are trying to enter this directly on the form, it won't work because this is a calculated entry. I assume you are using the software installed on your laptop versus using the Online Program.

rsogburn
Returning Member

As stated, using laptop and not online. Also using the guided step by step and not forms (why use Turbotx if you have to go to forms for entries).

Program will not accept an entry. So I did find the form (1088) and put the entry in there. Worked. 

But this is ridiculous - if I wanted to use forms I'd not use Turbotax.

As an observation, Turbotax seems to decrease in functionality and quality each year and I've used it for a long time, since intuit bought out TaxEdge, which was wonderful.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I do not recommend making entries directly into FORMS.  This will negate the TurboTax guaranty.

The program allows two ways to enter property tax, but there is a specific order to do this.

1. The first is to enter it directly under Property (Real Estate) Taxes; however, you must do this before you post the 1098 for your mortgage.
  2. If you have a 1098 for your mortgage you can enter under Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (Form 1098) at the bottom of the input screen.  This will be posted to your summary page as Property Taxes.  (After this is posted the "Property Tax" inputs will be limited to Additional and foreign taxes.)

@rsogburn

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies