Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to close the returns in Turbo Tax

Hi,

I created different returns to test out the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and Credit. May I know how I can close the returns and work with the one I have decided to use in Turbo Tax.

Also, there are 2 returns which are exactly the same name except one with '~and the other one without the '~' as follow:

1. ~2021 Form 1040 Individual Tax Return

2. 2021 Form 1040 Individual Tax Return

Attached please find the screenshot for your reference.Screenshot 2022-03-18 170236.jpg

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I think you mean you want to delete the duplicate files. If you just want to close them, then you just open the file you want to work with and the other files will be closed automatically while you are working on the new file. You can only have one file open at a time.

You can delete the files you don't want. First, you need to know where the file is. You can do that by opening the tax file you want to delete. Then, choose the File option on your menu bar (top left), then Save As. Once you choose the Save As option, you will see the location of the file you are going to save. Next, cancel out of the save routine you are in and then right click on the windows icon on your computer screen and use File Explorer to search for the location of the file you want to remove, and when you find it, right click on the file and delete it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I meant to close the file in Turbo Tax. Thank you. I do not want to delete the files because I would like to keep it for future reference.

Please let me know:

1. How I could close the other returns?

2. Why there are 2 returns are having exactly the same name except one with '~' and the other one?

Thank you

lee

give the tax returns distinctive names so you can tell them apart, especially the important one that you want to file.

ignore the file(s) with a tilde in the name.

Hi fanfare,

I located the file(s) with a tilde in the name'~', may I delete them?

Thank you

lee 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies