Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I select Itemized Deductions when the turbotax program is selecting Standard Deduction? I itemized deductions on my entry.

I agree.  My itemized deductions were less than the standard plus $300 charitable deduction.  But I NEED to itemize for my state return.  I found a work around.  Go to forms.  Choose "Info wks".  Scroll down to part VI and check the first box.  By itemizing I saved $14 in federal tax I owed and instead of owing $300 in state tax I'm getting a $20 refund!

Hope this helps others.

How do I select Itemized Deductions when the turbotax program is selecting Standard Deduction? I itemized deductions on my entry.

I had the same problem.  My itemized deductions were less than the standard plus $300 charitable deduction.  But I NEED to itemize for my state return.  I found a work around.  Go to forms.  Choose "Info wks".  Scroll down to part VI and check the first box.  By itemizing I saved $14 in federal tax I owed and instead of owing $300 in state tax I'm getting a $20 refund!

Hope this helps others.

My itemized deductions were less than the standard plus $300 charitable deduction.  But I NEED to itemize for my state return.  I found a work around.  Go to forms.  Choose "Info wks".  Scroll down to part VI and check one of the three boxes.  By itemizing I saved $14 in federal tax I owed and instead of owing $300 in state tax I'm getting a $20 refund!

Hope this helps others.

Hi Everyone,

Your answers really helped. I realized also that my itemized charitable deductions were mainly helping with my state taxes deduction vs federal since the federal standard deduction is so much higher now. I'm glad to know others were having problems with the process too. 

Thank you !

mollym973

I am having a very similar issue, seemingly surrounding charitable contributions.  My itemized deductions are MORE than the standard, and itemized is selected on the deductions and credits screen, but the refund amount is the standard deduction and it keeps wanting me to review my charitable contributions for standard deduction.  But I'm trying to itemize.  I have screen shots showing that itemized is best for me, but the program continues to give me the amount based on standard and asks me questions related to standard deductions and charitable contributions.  Please help.

If your itemized deductions are less than the standard deduction plus the extra $300 charitable deduction TurboTax will give you the standard.   Go to forms.  Choose "Info wks".  Scroll down to part VI and check one of the three boxes.  The first one lets you override and choose itemized.  

Hope this helps.

mollym973

Yes this makes sense and is helpful.  However, with Turbotax deluxe online I cannot find the forms section or info wks.  When I tried going to tax tools, tools, topic search,

'itemized deductions, choosing' it brings me to the page to select itemized vs standard, but itemized is already selected!! So frustrating.  I would get $30 more if I itemized and even though itemized is selected it's giving me the standard deduction amount as my return. I do see how the standard deduction +300 is more than my itemized deduction, but it's still trying to give me $30 less.  

Also doesn't seem right for me to be able to claim my charitable donations (much more than 300), plus another 300.  that's what the system seems to be making me do.

Is there another way to get to forms/info wks in this version of the online program?  thanks!

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

sounds like Turbo has computed your itemized vs standard deduction using the $300.00.  Just to test to see if the $30 additional refund computation is correct.   Try by adding like $2000 more in contributions as cash to see if it allows itemized deductions if it does then you know that it is taking into account the $300 for the standard deduction.

I hope this is clear.  I am saying that it is basically allowing the above the line $300.00 deduction because it provides a better benefit than your allowable itemized deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mollym973

HI again.  I appreciate the reply.  I do not feel comfortable 'fudging' my donation numbers and frankly I'm surprised that is what Turbo Tax expert is recommending.

Can you please just tell me where to find forms / info wks in the online version so I can try the steps mentioned a couple replies above?

I want to force the program to select itemized deductions (even though that's what it appears to be selecting.  I have screen shots if that is helpful.

If it's giving you the Standard Deduction and  not showing you Schedule A you can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using by going to

Tax Tools on left

Tools - Topic Search (top left box)

Type in  itemized deductions, choosing.  It should highlight that in the list, click on GO

Then Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction.    (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.

How to change between the Standard Deduction and Itemized Deductions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-item...

I use TurboTax Deluxe from a CD loaded on my laptop.  For me the Forms button is in the top righthand corner.  When a drop down menu appears on the left you'll see Info Wks.   Scroll down to Part VI and check the first box.  Let me know if this works for you!

I reported this issue last month.  I received an email this week that a fix to the program should be done by 4/26.  

Good luck!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You may also go to federal>deductions and credits. When you scroll through the screens, you will reach a screen that says the standard deduction is right for you. See the screenshot below.

krhorner
Returning Member

It seems there is a bug in the online software that will not allow you to select itemized deductions if the standard deduction + $300 is larger. It is to my benefit to itemize because I owe less in state taxes if I do. I have been in contact with TT several times and everyone tells me to do the exact same thing that I have been doing, to select the "change my deduction" button and select itemized. The software tells me it is locking in the itemized, but never changes my tax due amount and never shows anything other than the standard deduction. They need to fix the online software to make the button work! There doesn't seem to be a work around like those with the desktop version have been posting. This is frustrating me to no end and time is ticking to get these taxes filed!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends and not a problem. You can choose to itemize even though the Standard Deduction may be larger. Here are the steps.

1. Log into Turbo Tax.
  2. Go to federal>deductions and credits
  3. Scroll through the screens until you arrive at a screen that says The Standard Deduction is right for you. Here you can change to itemize deduction. I have included a screenshot on what this should look like at the bottom.
  4. After you change this, scroll to the next screen to remove the $300 charitable cash contribution as this is only available to standard filers.
  5.  Here is the screenshot. Be sure to select the button that says Change my Deduction if you wish to itemize.

krhorner
Returning Member

I've done that in the past and it's always worked. This year, it's not working. That's the same answer I've gotten from everyone at TT for the past 6 weeks. It will not toggle between standard and itemized. It tells me I'm getting itemized, but it won't update the tax due and it will not update the deductions when I check my summary. I do not get that screen you mention in your step number 4. I have never seen that screen. The only time I am able to enter, or even see the $300 is when it does the final check and kicks out an error because the software has forced the standard deduction and it tells me to enter the $300. If I enter it, I can't get back to it again to delete it. I've had to start my return all over to get it deleted. If I enter $0, I can't finish the return (which I don't want to do anyway if it's giving me the standard deduction), but I still am not able to choose to itemize.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies