Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I remove the natural disaster relief?

There is no way of selecting remove myself from disaster relief
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

37 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Please follow the steps below to remove Natural Disaster from your return :

1. Log in to your account.
  2. Go to Federal Taxes.
  3. Go to Deductions and Credits.
  4. Scroll down to Other Deductions and Credits.
  5. Click start next to Casualty and Theft.
  6. Answer No to the Question "Did you have anything damaged or stolen in 2019?"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ona
Level 1

I need an answer so I can complete my filing

Exactly what are you trying to remove - what form?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Coralz

How can I remove the Natural disaster relief from previous years?

Coralz

On my 2021 return, a box got checked on the Federal Information Worksheet that says I have a disaster distribution between 2018 and 2020. The form will not allow me to unclick that box. I only received the covid checks, no disaster distribution. If this can't be removed, what do I need to resolve this?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Try the following steps if you’re using TurboTax Online to see if the error message will clear – note that this is a different procedure than the on above:

1. Select Federal in the left pane.  If you don’t see it, and you’re on a screen that displays the categories Personal Info, Income & Expenses, and others in the center of the screen, select the dropdown to the right of Income & Expenses, then select Review/Edit 

2. Select Income & Expenses in the top banner

3. Scroll to the bottom of the section without making any changes, and select Wrap Up Income

4. Continue through the screens until you see a screen that says Did you take a disaster distribution at any time between 2018 and 2020? or something similar.  Select 'No, I didn’t,” then select Continue

5. Run the Federal Review to see if the error has cleared

@Coralz

Part VI on the info worksheet says "Disaster Tax Relief" The box is checked. I did not check it. It will not allow me to uncheck it. I do not want to get audited. Why is it auto checked Turbotax people and how can it be unchecked?

Problem 2 - it will not let me file because it says it is waiting for a form from Congress. Does anyone else get this for the Mac download?

Thank you

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

To find the disaster tax relief question, try the following steps:

• Go to Wages & Income at the top of the screen (or Personal > Personal Income)
  • Click I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll to the bottom of the section without making any changes and click Done with Income
  • Continue moving forward until you see a question about whether you took a disaster distribution in 2020 and select 'No'
  • Run the Federal Review again to see if the error has cleared

If you have tried these steps and you did not see a question about the disaster distributions in 2021, then repeat the steps for the Deductions & Credits section of your return until the question is located.  

Regarding problem 2, what form are you missing?

@filmtv1234

It allowed me to uncheck it and also cleared up the congress information block which was preventing me from filing. Thanks so much.

One more question though just to be sure. How do I check if I actually did or did not take this tax relief in 2018-2020?

What is the line item called so I can look at my PDF copies of those years. Thanks

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

For the years in question, Forms 8915-B, 8915-B or 8915-F would reflect qualified disaster retirement plan distributions and repayments.  Thus, if you see those in your return, then you likely claimed the tax benefit that accompanied those types of distributions.  Absent those forms, it's probably safe to conclude you did not take a disaster distribution.  

@filmtv1234

Workforlife
Returning Member

I am unable to choose "Choose what I do". Just like this person it wont let me unclick the button after i was asked about my IRA which I answered no I have not made any withdrawals. After this questions comes the disaster question which i answered no to again but it still pops up. What do I do?

@Workforlife wrote:

I am unable to choose "Choose what I do". Just like this person it wont let me unclick the button after i was asked about my IRA which I answered no I have not made any withdrawals. After this questions comes the disaster question which i answered no to again but it still pops up. What do I do?

Try this procedure -

If you did not take a disaster distribution from your pension funds between 2018 and 2020, there may be a question that needs to be reviewed.  Follow these steps.  

• Go to Federal / Wages & Income.
  • Scroll down to Wrap up income.
  • Continue.
  • At the screen Did you take a disaster distribution at any time between 2018 and 2020? answer No

Now watch the headings under Federal closely.  

• When you are in Deductions & Credits
  • Scroll down and click on Wrap up tax breaks.
  • Then you are in Other Tax Situations.
  • Scroll down and click on Let's keep going.
  • Continue through to Federal Review

Thank you.  This did the trick.  

Same here!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies