Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I fix the error on my California worksheet for primary residence? It won't save.

I'm getting an error and I can't e-file until it is corrected. But TurboTax won't let me save my edit and I can't navigate to the actual worksheet.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

31 Replies
manuharish
Returning Member

How do I fix the error on my California worksheet for primary residence? It won't save.

I'm having the same problem.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Would you clarify the type of correction is it asking you to make? 

[Edited 03-01-2021|04:32 PM PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
manuharish
Returning Member

The software is asking me to select whether the address is my primary residence is the address I have listed. The software won't let me select "Yes" or "No", yet it's showing that I have an error. I called a rep and they couldn't figure it out.

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes,  you can go back to your personal information on My Info screen, and check if the address was entered correctly.  You can do another review by: 

1. In Turbo Tax Screen. click State. 

2. Jump to State Review tab. 

3. If the return had error/s, click fix return. 

Please, send back your comments and let us know if the above steps solved your issue.

manuharish
Returning Member

There is clearly a bug in the software here. I noticed other bugs while filling out my taxes so not surprised about this, except I can't fix it. I have used TurboTax for 15+years and have filed returns for many individuals in the past, so I am not a newbie with taxes. I am simply trying to check a box that the software won't allow. I called Support after attempting to troubleshoot my self,  and they were also not able to fix this, so the solutions provided aren't working.

I am able to provide an address under "My Info". The address is correct. What I can't do is select this as my primary residence. I have seen this same issue posted by many others TT users. I can't select "YES" under the EasyStep process nor can I select this when I go to the Form (Info Worksheet). This is extremely frustrating as I can't file my return until this is fixed. 

Other posts detailing the same issue:

As you can see, others are having the same issue. 

Some TurboTax users are reporting an error with their California information worksheet. The error tells users they must select Yes or No when asked if the address is their principal residence. This applies to California resident filers only.  We’re working to resolve this issue and anticipate it'll be fixed on March 5. If you’d like to receive progress status updates, please sign up here.

Follow this TurboTax link for more information.

@manuharish

manuharish
Returning Member

@renee - I was able to confirm that the issue has been resolved as I was able to check the principal residence box. 

I am having the exact same issue, It is March 5th and it still won't let me click the boxes.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@JayOwen78 Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for assistance on the CA information worksheet error:

California information worksheet principal residence error

I already read that, it doesn't help at all, it only states what I already know, that it doesn't work. I guess I'll just have to use a different company to file this year.

Cfreeze
Returning Member

March 14, Issue is still unresolved. I have tried the online version, the Basic download and the Deluxe download. An update would be great as to when this is expected to be actually resolved.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

There is a known problem with Home Mortgage Deduction.  TurboTax is working to fix the problem and the many other issues. There are many changes due to the CARES Act that require software upgrades.  We have not been given an  expected date for the fix yet.  Please check back often to see if you can file your return.

When the IRS has completed the updates to the worksheets based on the CARES Act, TurboTax will be able to program the software to accurately reflect your Home Mortgage deduction you your Federal and State returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Cfreeze
Returning Member

I am unsure as to how this would resolve the issue as I am not claiming any kind of deduction for a home mortgage. It looks to be a technical issue with the checkbox for whether or not the address listed on the California Information Worksheet is my physical address. It doesn't seem to have any connection to the issue that you mentioned. How are these related?

You should delete the worksheet and try again.  Here is how:

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

• Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  • In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  • In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

​​​​​​​@Cfreeze

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies