Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I fill out a form 8812 additional child tax credit that the irs send me and I want to do it electronical on TurboTax

How do you fill out form 8812
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

How do I fill out a form 8812 additional child tax credit that the irs send me and I want to do it electronical on TurboTax

If you already filed a tax return and the IRS wants Schedule 8812, you won't be able to e-file it. The IRS letter should have an address or a fax number where you could sent the schedule to.

Schedule 8812 (Child Tax Credit) is generated if:

1. A child that's being claimed under the Child Tax Credit has an ITIN instead of a Social Security number
  2. You're getting the Additional Child Tax Credit

If you're claiming the Child Tax Credit and either of these 2 conditions don't apply, you don't need a Schedule 8812.

The Additional Child Tax Credit isn't a credit you get for additional children; rather, it's the leftover portion of the Child Tax Credit (up to $1,400) that you're eligible to receive if the Child Tax Credit wipes out your tax liability for the year.

Qualifications for the Additional Child Tax Credit are the same as for the Child Tax Credit, with one more condition: your earned income must be at least $2,500.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

We received two months of Advanced Child Tax Credit payments before I was able to turn off the automatic payments.  With our increased income in 2021 compared to 2020, we no longer qualify for any child tax credit.  We received letters from the IRS with the amounts we received and the letters state that if we aren't eligible for the credit we need to file Schedule 8812 to determine if we must pay the money back.  How do we do that on Turbo Tax desktop version?  Thank you for your help.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@ntaylor07 You need to complete the Child and Dependent Tax Credit section in TurboTax as follows:

In the Federal section of TurboTax:

1. Deductions and Credits

2. You and Your Family

3. Child and Other Dependent Tax Credit

Thank you for the quick response.  When I completed that section in Turbo Tax, it never gave me the option to put in the advanced child credit payments.  It just told me that "It turns out you don't qualify for this credit."  Which affirms to me that we will need to repay these amounts.  How do I proceed from here?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Follow these steps:

1. Return to the federal section,
  2. Deductions and Credits,
  3. scroll down to Advance payments, Child and Other Dependent Tax Credits
  4. Edit/ review
  5. Video, Continue
  6. Home in U.S.? Yes
  7. Enter amounts received per person

The program will produce the forms needed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies