Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

High Deductible Health Plan

If I was covered under my husband's High Deductible Health Plan, how do I answer the question of what kind of high deductible health plan I had on Dec. 1?  None or Family?

Also, my daughter was covered under my husband's high deductible health plan for 8 months of the year until she moved out, got a new job and got her own high deductible health plan.  How does she answer what kind of high deductible health plan she had for the 8 months she lived at home and was on my husband's family plan?  None or family?  (She answers self coverage for the remaining 4 months.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RalphH1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

You are considered to have been covered under a family plan, as the IRS says (here in Publication 969) that “If either spouse has family HDHP coverage, both spouses are treated as having family HDHP coverage.”

And your daughter would select the same thing for the eight months she was covered under his plan, (with her maximum contribution being an average reflecting the months with different kinds of coverage). However, her eligibility to make any contributions to her own HSA for 2022 will depend on her not being able to be claimed as a dependent on your return, as discussed here. In TurboTax, she’ll see “Another taxpayer can claim me...”  in the “Personal Info” section, and any contributions will be “excess” if that’s checked...

Note also that your husband and you must split the family contribution limit amount equally, unless you agree on another allocation. When you’re doing a joint return in TurboTax, the program will bring up the “excess contribution” screens (advising you of your options) if the two spouses together contributed more than $7,300.

@MissHolly, the Community is here if you have more HSA questions!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RalphH1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

You are considered to have been covered under a family plan, as the IRS says (here in Publication 969) that “If either spouse has family HDHP coverage, both spouses are treated as having family HDHP coverage.”

And your daughter would select the same thing for the eight months she was covered under his plan, (with her maximum contribution being an average reflecting the months with different kinds of coverage). However, her eligibility to make any contributions to her own HSA for 2022 will depend on her not being able to be claimed as a dependent on your return, as discussed here. In TurboTax, she’ll see “Another taxpayer can claim me...”  in the “Personal Info” section, and any contributions will be “excess” if that’s checked...

Note also that your husband and you must split the family contribution limit amount equally, unless you agree on another allocation. When you’re doing a joint return in TurboTax, the program will bring up the “excess contribution” screens (advising you of your options) if the two spouses together contributed more than $7,300.

@MissHolly, the Community is here if you have more HSA questions!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies