turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jxp603

Mortgage Interest adjustment Calculation. How to calculate the Mortgage Interest adjustment in California if the mortgage is over 750,000

I have a mortgage over 750,000 in CA, how to calculate the Mortgage Interest Adjustment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Mortgage Interest adjustment Calculation. How to calculate the Mortgage Interest adjustment in California if the mortgage is over 750,000

18 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

You can calculate it by yearly average or monthly. 

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/Archive/Professionals/Taxnews/2008/1208/1208_5.shtml

catch 22. how can i see my schedule A while still working on my taxes? turbotax won't let me see it.

nevermind, gotta PAY turbotax first..

Hi,in my federal section tt said my original mortgage amount to be x ( 1098 box 1 summation of two lenders since i refinanced)  and the adjusted amount ( due to federal limitation of 750k) was y, which is also present in schedule A and x > y. However tt puts in CA(540) Part II , column C addition amount of a large negative value. I thought based on your answer above it should be (x-y ) = a small positive number in my case? Am I missing something?

Hi,in my federal section tt said my original mortgage amount to be x ( 1098 box 1 summation of two lenders since i refinanced)  and the adjusted amount ( due to federal limitation of 750k) was y, which is also present in schedule A and x > y. However tt puts in CA(540) Part II , column C addition amount of a large negative value. I thought based on your answer above it should be (x-y ) = a small positive number in my case? Am I missing something?

KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Did you report any of a 1098 on a Schedule E?

No. I bought the home in march 2018 and then I refinanced it in the same year.
For the original loan in TT " Telll us about you loan balances" section , shall I put ending balance as 0 since I refinanced this loan with another lender? I am asking this because in state return it affects the total home acquisition debt.
CCap
Level 3

Did you ever figure this out?  I have the same issue and it is driving me crazy.

SLA
Level 1

I am having a similar problem. I refinanced the loan so I have two 1098 Forms -- the first is interest on the original loan for 9 months that was paid off.  The other is the 1098 for the interest on the new loan for 3 months.  Turbo Tax is treating these as two loans and adding the old and new loan together!  This results in a loan amount and balances twice the size of the actual mortgage.  Turbo Tax needs to correct this glitch and recognize that refinance is not two loans but simply a replacement loan.  I have had to override the calcualtions to get the correct mortgage balances.

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

On the refinanced mortgage Box 2 is asking for the amount of the outstanding balance of the loan as on 01/01/2019.  Since the loan did not start until after that the date the amount in Box 2 for the refinanced mortgage should be $0.  

If you put a balance for the loan in Box 2 for the refinanced loan the computer program will impose the limits on how much interest you can deduct on mortgages.

Link to Deduction Mortgage Interest

@SLA

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SLA
Level 1

Thanks for your response and it helped a little.  However, the basic problem is that the California Return is treating the refinance as a separate mortgage because there are two separate Loan numbers and two separate 1098 Forms for the original loan and the refinanced loan.  I had to override the California worksheet by treating them as one loan instead of two separate loans.  I wish the program would ask whether the property was refinanced and then ask for the beginning balance on the old loan, the date of refinance, and the ending balance on the refinanced loan.  It would then correctly calculate the mortgage interest deduction. 

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

If you enter the older loan first, the program does ask if it was sold or refinanced, then when the second 1098 is entered, the loan balance from the first 1098 is not added to the second. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Even after your suggestions, I'm still getting a negative California adjusted mortgage interest figure.  I tried entering $0 for my old lender outstanding principal balance, but TT says it can't be a $0.  So frustrating.....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies