turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mdmohan

Hi, I am a resident non immigrant worker. My children have ITIN and hence not eligible for Child Tax Credit. But the turbotax credits child tax credit. Are there options?

If I select non-us citizen/resident option, they are taken out of dependent. I need them to be dependent but not credit CTC.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Hi, I am a resident non immigrant worker. My children have ITIN and hence not eligible for Child Tax Credit. But the turbotax credits child tax credit. Are there options?

More information about your situation would help resolve your question.  For example, are you considered a resident or nonresident alien for U.S. tax purposes (see IRS Publication 519 at this link for more information)?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That sounds like an error in the program.  If that is the case, you may need to prepare your tax return some other way.

MayaD
Employee Tax Expert

Form 1040 line 13 a shows Child tax credit or credit for other dependents . 

The Credit for Other Dependents is tax credit available to taxpayers for each of their qualifying dependents who can't be claimed for the Child Tax Credit. A taxpayer can claim the Other Dependent Credit  for a dependent who meets all the rules to be a qualifying child for the Child Tax Credit  except for the SSN requirement.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@MayaD wrote:

A taxpayer can claim the Other Dependent Credit  for a dependent who meets all the rules to be a qualifying child for the Child Tax Credit  except for the SSN requirement.

No.  The dependent must be a US Citizen, Resident or National.   A Citizen or Resident of Mexico or Canada can qualify as a dependent, but they do NOT qualify for the Other Dependent Credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies