turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FSA Family / Married Filing Jointly 2022 Limits

Is the 2022 FSA limit for Married Filing Jointly $5,700 ($2,850 x 2)?  I cannot find the 2022 limits, nor the discussion about combined limits, on any official publications.

We have a Medical FSA through my spouse's employer for the max ($2,850) that we have always used for IRS-approved expenses (medical and prescription copayments, dental, prescription glasses & contacts, etc.), and for 2022, I am now also contributing to a Medical FSA through my employer for $2,600, which we plan to use  specifically for our child's first year of braces.  I clearly understand that we cannot claim the same expenses from both FSAs, which we would never consider.

It appears that we are safely BELOW the Jointly/combined max of $5,700, but I cannot find the 2022 limits, nor the discussion about combined limits, on any official publications.

Are married filing jointly okay to each have an FSA, as long as the combined is $5,700 or below for 2022?  Which IRS publication details that this is okay?  I don't see it in 969 or 502.

Thanks very much in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Link:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-provides-tax-inflation-adjustments-for-tax-year-2022

The limit is $2850 per person.  If married, that adds up to $5700, but it is not permitted for one spouse to claim more than $2850, even if the other spouse claims less.  (This is different from an HSA.)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

According to a variety of unofficial sources, the 2022 spending limit is $2850 per employee or $5700 per household. Each of these sources state that the IRS passed this provision on 11-10-2021 but I have been able to find an IRS document that references this. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Link:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-provides-tax-inflation-adjustments-for-tax-year-2022

The limit is $2850 per person.  If married, that adds up to $5700, but it is not permitted for one spouse to claim more than $2850, even if the other spouse claims less.  (This is different from an HSA.)

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies