Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 2555 - Part 1-6b If you didn’t previously file Form 2555 to claim either of the exclusions, check here. Do I need to tick it if I previously filed but didn't claim?

I have filed Form 2555 in the past because I qualified for bonafide residence test. But I have never "claimed" any tax credit because my income was anyways not taxable. Do I need to check this box on Form 2555 Part 1-6b "b If you didn’t previously file Form 2555 or Form 2555-EZ to claim either of the exclusions, check here ( ) and go to line 7."
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Form 2555 - Part 1-6b If you didn’t previously file Form 2555 to claim either of the exclusions, check here. Do I need to tick it if I previously filed but didn't claim?

If you never claimed the the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion then you will put a check next to "you didn’t previously file Form 2555 or Form 2555-EZ to claim either of the exclusions".

Please be aware this is not a tax credit it excludes your foreign income and therefore reduces your taxable income.

If you claim the exclusion one year but then not (and you still qualify) then you need to revoke your choice to exclude your foreign income. If you revoked a choice and within 5 tax years wish to again choose the same exclusion, you must apply for IRS approval. Please see Revoking Your Choice to Exclude Foreign Earned Income for more detail.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your reply! 

In this case, I have always had income below the 105K, and have been eligibile for FEIE via bonafide residence test. 

I want to continue in this direction so that my tax credit increases (in case I earn above the treshold and would have double taxable income in the future). No revokes or anything, but again, I haven't claimed anything, it has just been accumulating and anyways, due to my earnings, the income is not taxable. 

For this, just to triple check, I would check the box, correct? 

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

To clarify, if you excluded your foreign earned income on Schedule 1 line 8 (other income)  on any of your tax returns and filed Form 2555 then you will not check the box next to "you didn’t previously file Form 2555 or Form 2555-EZ to claim either of the exclusions".

If you never claimed the Foreign Earned Income Tax Exclusion and included all of your foreign income in your taxable income then you will check the box next to "you didn’t previously file Form 2555 or Form 2555-EZ to claim either of the exclusions".

Please see Foreign Earned Income Exclusion for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi, thank you for the reply. 

On my Schedule 1 line 8 Other Income I have written "Form 2555" as well as the amount of income earned (as a negative quantity) this year "-xx.xxx"  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies