turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mmk3240

Form 2106 Line 16b from both copies of the Employee Home Office Worksheet, when added together, must equal line 16a. what has to add up to line 16A

form 2106 Line 16b from both copies of the Employee Home Office Worksheet, when added together, must equal line 16a. what lines has to add up to line 16A
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

28 Replies
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Form 2106 Line 16b from both copies of the Employee Home Office Worksheet, when added together, must equal line 16a. what has to add up to line 16A

When you have two employee home offices, the total employee expenses from the Home Office Wks line 16a must be divvied up between the two offices: how much of the total belongs to Office #1 line 16b? How much to Office #2 line 16b? Only you have the information to allocate the total expenses between the two.

I only have one home office, (well I deleted once and added again), how do I solve this?

I tried to print all the forms, I found out the value 16b will never changed even if I modify some values of my cost.

the error appears when I tried to file CA state tax.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Where are you entering the expenses for the home office? 

California allows adjustments for Federal Form 2106, (employee expenses) but home office is no longer on that form. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I entered home office Federal Deductions & Credits, it doesn't affect federal refund, it changed CA refund, but when I tried to file, I got error on Form 2106. and the error didn't go away even if I delete the homeoffice entry.

I guess I probably tried to fix the problem by entering some number, and the number stays there somehow even if I modified home office or delete home office

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Try deleting the form 2106.

If using an online version:

1.  Click "Tax Tools" in the left hand menu

2.  Click "Tools" in the left hand menu

3.  Click "Delete a form" in the center screen

4.  Find the form 2106 and "Delete"

5.  There will also be a CA form 2106 as well to delete.

Left Hand menu is empty (all white), I'm using mac version FPS 4.2.7.8

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 19.18.02.png

I saw different values on Form 2106 by following different ways:

1) click "Form" Icon on the menu

2) Print -> PDF file and go to Form 2106

Did I hit a rare bug caused by rare combination of actions?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

In general, this deduction is no longer available for W-2 employees. Therefore, you will not see a change to your Federal refund.

The business deductions on Form 2106 are allowed for Armed Forces reservist, a qualified performing artist, a fee-basis state or local government official, or an individual with a disability claiming impairment-related work expenses. All other taxpayers can no longer deduct these expenses beginning in tax year 2018. However, some states still allow the deduction. You would enter these expenses on your Federal return to carry to the state.

To try to delete, follow these steps:

• Under the Federal menu, choose Deductions & Credits
  • Expand the menu for Employment Expenses
  • Click Start/Revisit next to Job Expenses for W-2 Income
  • You should be able to delete any information entered and then return to this area to re-enter the deductions that will apply to your state return.

Form 2106

TerryA
Intuit Alumni

You said the error is in your TT Calif return - TT Calif has its own copies of the Employee Home Office Wks. If two of those exist then you will get that "line 16a" must be allocated error. The presence of a federal Emp. Home Office Wks will cause TT Calif to generate a corresponding copy.

Look in your TT Calif return and if there are two copies of that Wks then delete the extra copy, making sure your federal return doesn't have an extra copy first.

no, it doesn't work.

even if I deleted all entries in employee expenses, smart check still failed. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 19.04.05.pngScreen Shot 2020-03-19 at 19.04.25.png

TerryA
Intuit Alumni

That error cannot happen unless there are two copies of the Employee Home Office Wks. The program counts the number of copies of it. If more than one copy exists for that Form 2106 (the program doesn't know how to count the number of copies of a form wrong), and there has been no allocation between the two copies, then show that error.

Well, I don't know what to do. 

I was able to file Federal tax without issues, doesn't let me to file state (CA)

TerryA
Intuit Alumni

TT Calif has an extra copy of the form that needs to be deleted.

The post at this link will tell you how to delete a form in TurboTax Online:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894474-how-do-i-delete-a-tax-form-in-turbotax-online

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies