turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1099R

Form 1099R...Gross distribution and @(a) the same amount.  All deposits made by after taxed income.  Should line (a) be zero since deposits made after tax.  How do I report this on F1040.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Form 1099R

Line 4a just shows the full amount distributed. That includes rollovers, tax free, etc. Your 1099-R should be showing in 4a. Line 4b is the taxable portion and should be zero since after tax dollars.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 1099R

My 1099-R shows !. Gross distribution $28,256.00;  (2a) taxable amount $28,256.00;  (2b) taxable amount not determined box checked and total distribution box checked;  3 is $0;  4 fed income tax withheld $2,325.63; 7 shows code 7 and ira/sep/simple box checked.  No other boxes contained any info.  I asked my plan administrator to send me corrected 1099-R that show taxable amount (2a) as $0 since all deposits where after tax dollars. I was told that they could not do that.  How do I show that the taxable amount is $0 when the 1099-R  show $28,255.90.  Do I have to use another tax form  or what do I do.

Form 1099R

No, you do not have to use another tax form. Simply enter all of the information as is on the screen in the system - including the amount in box 2a, then on the next screen titled "Let us know a little more about this distribution" - since the funds were after-tax dollars - check off the circle to the left of "Roth IRA" and at the bottom check the circle to the left of "No" if no penalty applies to you for this withdrawal. You've now told the system that the IRA contributions were made with after tax dollars and this end result will be a nontaxable distribution. 

ddarbutt1

Form 1099R

The distribution on my 1099R was after tax dollars according to my financial advisor.  I tried your method to show this but the screen after entering the 1099R was not titled "Tell me more about this distribution"  What am I doing wrong?  I am using Turbo Tax Premier.  Help!  Thank You!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Form 1099R

What was your distribution code reported in Box 7 and do you have the IRA/SEP/Simple box checked in the 1099R?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies