turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jhmbay

Foreign tax paid - where do I report

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

The foreign tax paid is entered as follows:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deductions & Credits (you may have to select See all Tax Breaks)
  3. Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  4. select Foreign Taxes

Notes: 

• Please make sure that you report the income on which you paid the foreign tax. 
  • You cannot take a foreign tax credit for taxes on income that you exclude due to foreign earned income exclusion.
  • IF you have foreign tax paid on foreign interest and dividends and no forms, please enter the interest/foreign tax AS IF you have form 1099-INT (put foreign interest in box 1 and foreign tax in box 6) or form 1099-DIV respectively. 

I'm not having any success with these directions. I have income from a Canadian retirement account with tax withheld. I need to report the tax. I'll try again.
Niket1974

I could enter my Canada RIF distribution easily, however, I could not find a way to enter the foreign taxes paid to claim a tax credit. Is there a way or should I use a different software to file my taxes?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

To claim the Foreign Tax credit:

1. Log in to your account.
  2. Go to Federal Taxes.
  3. Go to Deductions and Credits.
  4. Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid.
  5. Select Foreign taxes.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pbsport

I am working on my taxes for 2019 and I have a 1099 statement from my financial institute that has some foreign tax to report.  Some is for unknown countries and I have a couple showing the country the tax was paid to.  How do I report this tax within the tax software.  Thank you.

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Once you have reported the foreign tax in Box 7 of the 1099-DIV input screen in TurboTax, you need to go to the foreign tax credit section of TurboTax.

Enter foreign tax credit in the search bar at the top of your screen and click the jump to link.  

Mutual Fund shareholders are not required to report country by country detail. The code "RIC" should be used when completing foreign country information on Form 1116. See Form 1116 instructions for additional information.  I think various is what taxpayers used previously as the country.  The Form 1116 instructions now say to use RIC for income passes through from a mutual fund or other regulated investment company (RIC) on a country by country basis. 

Form 1116 instructions  page 15: 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
frankyli89
Returning Member

MargaretL,

My wife worked in the UK for a UK company.  She makes more than the exclusion amount ($105,900), but she also paid substantial amount of taxes (30%) to the UK government.  Can we claim the foreign tax credit?  If yes, what number should I enter in the 1116 form?  thanks.

There is no Foreign Taxes tab only Foreign Tax Credit and following that and taking a credit only allows me to inter info on dividends and not on RRIF withdrawal

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies