turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

wooshj

Filed as a dependent by mistake! (Stimulus Check?)

So if you don't check that box for the 2020 tax returns (in 2021) you will still get the check then, but what happens if in 2019 you made less than 50k (so you would have qualified) but in 2020 you made over 100k (and can't qualify) will you still get that money?

If not that means there's no way to receive that money anymore right?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

That is correct, if you do not qualify based on income in 2020, and you were listed as a dependent in 2019, you will not receive the payment in 2019 or the credit on your 2020 tax return.  

@wooshj

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jessiki1970
Returning Member

What about if I a on SSI and filed under Non-filer's adn accidentally checked the dependent claim box?

Carl
Level 15

For all of you in this thread, here's what the law say on dependent status and ***ONLY*** dependent status.

If on Dec 31 of the tax year you were under the age of 19

***********OR***********

If on Dec 31 of the tax year you were under the age of 24 and;

enrolled as a full time student for *ANY* *ONE* *SEMESTER* that started in the tax year and;

was enrolled in an accredited institution, and;

was enrolled in a course of study that will lead to a degree or credentialed certification, and;

You did not provide more than half of your own support for the *ENTIRE* tax year (all 365 days of it), then;

You qualify to be claimed as a dependent on your parent's tax return. Period. End of Story.

Now the key word here is *QUALIFY*. It flat out *does* *not* *matter* if your parents actually claimed you or not. If you just *QUALIFY* to be claimed as a dependent, then you have *NO* *LEGAL* *CHOICE* but to select the option for "I can be claimed on someone elses tax return".  Again, it *does* *not* *matter* if they actually claim you as a dependent or not.

Now some special notes about the above, and what you *DO* *NOT* see in those requirements.

- There is no mention of the student's income. If the student meets all of the requirements above to be claimed as a dependent, the student could have earned a million dollars (literally!) in the tax year and it doesn't matter. They still qualify to be claimed as a dependent on the parents tax return.

- There are only two possible ways the student can provide more than half of their own support for the entire year. First understand that "ALL" third party income (scholarships, grants, 529 distributions, gifts from Aunt Mary, money from parents, etc.) ***DO*** ***NOT*** ***COUNT*** for the student providing their own support. Again, there are only two possible ways the student can have any claim to providing more than half of their own support.

1) The student was self-employed or had a W-2 job and earned a sufficient amount of money to support a claim to having provided more than half of their own support. The earned amount must also exceed the total amount of all third party income (scholarships, grants, etc.) received for the tax year.

2) The student is the *PRIMARY* borrower on a *qualified* student loans, and a sufficient amount of that borrowed money was distributed to the student during the tax year to support a claim to having provided more than half of their own support. The amoutn distributed must also exceed the total of all third party income received by the student or on behalf of the student during the same tax year.

Now not all support is based on money received. There are those things that are considered support that do not involve the direct transfer or handling of money. But they do have a monetary value. Support consist of the cost of or the fair market value of:

- Tuition, Books and Lab fees

- Housing (rent and utilities)

- Food

- Transportation

- Clothing

- Entertainment

Not only do you have to prove what  is claimed for the cost of any of the above if ever audited on it, but those costs must be reasonable too - or it raises flags big time with the IRS.  For example, renting a $5000/mo penthouse suite for an undergraduate college student isn't going to cut it with the IRS. I don't care if your name is Michael Jordan. (My own son attended college with his son.) One cannot possibly justify a "need" for that expensive a home for "any" undergradate, I don't care who they are.

In conclusion, if you are under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, your earnings do not matter.

However, if you are over the age of 18 and under the age of 24 and "WERE" "NOT" a full time student in the tax year, then if you earned more than $4,150 of ***EARNED*** income during the tax year, absolutely nobody on this planet can claim you as a dependent on their tax return. No exceptions.

I filed as a dependent by accident as well, but my 2018 don’t have the box checked. I amended my taxes for 2019. Will it be the same situation, I will have to claim it on my 2020 taxes?

Nikkimac79
Returning Member

If u don't mind me asking how long ago did u do the amendment? How long did it say it would take if it did?

Nikkimac79
Returning Member

Once u submit the non filer form and its accepted by the irs you cannot change it or resubmit. My fiance and I filed on April 13 and haven't received it either bc he accidentally claimed me as dependent. The irs said they are working on a fix bc they hadn't put a  protocol in place incase ppl made a mistake and they cannot manually fix it or pull it from their system. The only thing you can do as of now is to amend it they said as they are working on a fix and if they get a fix b4 hand they will fix it

It was someday at the end of April of 2020. It said it would take up to 3 weeks to appear, which I checked the status; still nothing, but up to 16 weeks for the IRS to process. @Nikkimac79 

Nikkimac79
Returning Member

Ty for info thats what I was told also but was hoping it wouldn't take that long

Nikkimac79
Returning Member

Unfortunately you will not receive payment once you submitted your non filer and it was accepted by irs you cannot change it. They are currently working on a fix but as of now the only thing to do is amend it they said and if they come up with a fix they will correct it but you should contact irs and let them kno.....

Tillywon

It sure is messed up. I am totally disabled and My daughter tried to claim me on her 2019 but it said no. Then she received her refund and sure enough, there was not any extra funds for claiming me. But I did not get a stimulus check in my direct deposit. So I finally got in touch with IRS to find out where my check was. They told me that I did not qualify because someone claimed me in 2019 taxes. I told them no and that was not true. They said my daughter would have to call the IRS. I just don't understand.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The IRS will not tell you who claimed you, only that you were listed on another tax return. If your daughter did claim you, it would not affect her economic impact payment (stimulus check) but her refund would have an extra credit for you of $500 .

The 2019 tax return doesn't "say no" to a dependent - that isn't how that works.  If she "tried to claim you" then odds are, she probably did claim you but after learning about the effect it would have on the economic impact payment to you later may have second thoughts and doesn't want to say so.  

Unfortunately, you may never know the truth about this and there isn't anything that you can do about it currently.

The only thing you can do is file your own tax return for 2020 in 2021 to try to claim an economic impact payment for $1200 for yourself at that time as long as you are truly not qualified to be a dependent of your daughter - meaning that she does not provide more than half of your support.

Ajowat

So what if the IRS is saying that I put down that I can be claimed as a dependent when I DIDNT and they're denying me a stimulus? I went back and rechecked everything and I DID NOT mark that I was a dependent and I've also not filed taxes in the last 7 years so why are they lying?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

TurboTax will not have that information. The stimulus deposit comes directly from the IRS. If you have not filed taxes in the last 7 years, they may not have your information for stimulus processing. When you last filed, were you claimed as a dependent? However, if you file a 2020 return, you may be able to claim the stimulus payment as a credit to be received with your 2020 return.

Per the IRS:

If you did not receive the full amount to which you believe you are entitled, you will be able to claim the additional amount when you file your 2020 tax return.  This is particularly important for individuals who may be entitled to the additional $500 per qualifying child dependent payments. For VA and SSI recipients who don’t have a filing requirement and have a child, they need to use the Non-Filer tool (link) on IRS.gov by May 5 in order to have the $500 added automatically to their $1,200 Economic Impact payment. We encourage people to review our “How do I calculate my EIP Payment” question and answer.

Information about who is getting the stimulus check can be found in the links below:

What do I need to know about the coronavirus stimulus package?

Economic Impact Payments

The IRS has created a Get My Payment portal to track the progress of these payments for taxpayers.

IRS Economic Impact Payments

Did the same mistake. Can I file 1040x to amend it?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies