turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Family Attribution Rules

I have seen this question on the forum but no helpful answers yet. My parents own the company I work for and I am considered a "relative of a shareholder." I do NOT own stock in the company but I'm related to a primary shareholder. As such my health care premiums are listed on my W-2 but I should have an option to designate that the amount be subtracted from my W-2 under IRS Sec 318(a)(1) family attribution rules. Right now the software just keeps asking my for a K-1 which does NOT apply to my situation. And I am NOT self-employed - I am a W-2 employee of the company. This is not an uncommon thing to occur with children working in family businesses so I would love to just understand if TurboTax can handle it with the personal software program. Anyone have that answer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Family Attribution Rules

the only way I could come up with to make this work is to enter a k-1 for the S-Corp showing no income. then complete the SE health insurance section.  I do not know if this would raise issues with the IRS. 

your other choice is an override but this would prevent e-filing and could also raise issues with the IRS.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Family Attribution Rules

the only way I could come up with to make this work is to enter a k-1 for the S-Corp showing no income. then complete the SE health insurance section.  I do not know if this would raise issues with the IRS. 

your other choice is an override but this would prevent e-filing and could also raise issues with the IRS.

Family Attribution Rules

I agree with @Mike9241; there appears to be no other way to input the deduction into TurboTax other than an override or creating a blank K-1 and then completing the SE healthcare worksheet.

Family Attribution Rules

Thanks! I agree that looks like the only option at this point. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies