turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Enter the amount from line 1 of your Property Tax Statement Payable in 2020. Can someone explain where this amount would be? Might be a dumb question but I’m confused. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

Enter the amount from line 1 of your Property Tax Statement Payable in 2020. Can someone explain where this amount would be? Might be a dumb question but I’m confused. Thanks

I'm not sure what "line 1" refers to, but there are two main ways to determine what your Real Estate taxes were.

1. If you pay your taxes with your mortgage it will state the amount paid on your FORM 1098.  If you don't see it on the front then it may be posted on the back.
  2. The second alternative is to contact your Town Hall and ask for the amount of Real Estate Tax PAID in 2019. (It doesn't matter if you paid the bill for 2019 or 2020.  It only matters that you paid it in 2019.)
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you are referring to the Minnesota Homeowner's Property Tax Refund, you need to wait until late March or early April.  That is when your county will mail you your Property Tax Statement.

In the meanwhile, you can still file your Federal and State income tax returns.  Then you come back later to finish the Property Tax Refund (which is a separate filing), and it must be MAILED.

Turbo specifically asks for information from Line 1 "2020 Property Tax Statement, Line 1" but MN tax statements are not set up like this and I do not receive a tax statement (I receive "Proposed Property Tax" statement) and tax is paid through my lender. So what exactly does Turbo want in this entry? Do they want 2019 taxes paid? It would be nice to know what they are looking because there is no line 1 that fits their description.

@Patricia15 wrote:

Turbo specifically asks for information from Line 1 "2020 Property Tax Statement, Line 1" but MN tax statements are not set up like this and I do not receive a tax statement (I receive "Proposed Property Tax" statement) and tax is paid through my lender. So what exactly does Turbo want in this entry? Do they want 2019 taxes paid? It would be nice to know what they are looking because there is no line 1 that fits their description.

Yes, they ARE set up like that.  And you  SHOULD be receiving the property tax statement even if your it is paid through your lender.  You may want to talk to your county about that.

You can call the county to get a duplicate sent to you, and/or you can go to the county website for the information that you need.

And no, it is not asking about what was paid in 2019 (well, I guess Line 2 asks for that).  Line 1 is the amount for 2020.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies