turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

education expense deduction

My wife is enrolled in an online course at Claritas University, so where do I enter her expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

There is only two ways you can enter tuition expenses in your return if you don't have a 1098T.

1. if you say no when it asks if you have a 1098T, it will bring you to a screen asking if you qualify for an exception.  to continue you will need to say "yes."
  2. Then it will ask you for school information. You will need to record a name address, etc. Most importantly, you will need to get the schools's federal ID number and record this at the bottom of the page.  without this number, you will not be able to claim tuition expenses.
  3. When you enter this information, the next screen will allow you to enter this information.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

To enter your wife's information go to:

• Deductions & Credits
  • I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll down to Education
  • Select Expenses and Scholarships
  • Continue through the questions.

I'm sorry, I don't see "I'll choose what I work on" anywhere. I have not seen a field where I can actually enter expenses?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I think you only see the "I'll choose what I work on " option in the desktop TurboTax program. 

You are looking for this screen:

You will find it in the federal section of TurboTax, in the "Deductions and Credits" menu option.

I have the desktop version of TurboTax and I see the "expenses and scholarships" section, but when I work through all the questions, it finally tells me that you don't qualify for a deduction because you didn't enter net education expenses. This is my question: where does one enter these expenses??

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To enter these in your Turbo Tax desktop

1. Go to Federal taxes>deductions and credits>choose what you work on
  2. education>expenses and scholarships
  3. Answer the questions until it asks you about the 1098T
  4. As you answer the questions, your educational expense payments will be recorded in Box 1 of the form.

She did not get a 1098-T.  When you click on "education expenses and scholarships", the next page says "now let us gather XYZ's additional education expenses" . Its almost as if there is a page missing before this one where you can actually enter your expenses. In addition to this, there is no clickable " I'll choose what I want to work on" even though I have the desktop version of Turbotax.  I really don't know how to fix this!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

There is only two ways you can enter tuition expenses in your return if you don't have a 1098T.

1. if you say no when it asks if you have a 1098T, it will bring you to a screen asking if you qualify for an exception.  to continue you will need to say "yes."
  2. Then it will ask you for school information. You will need to record a name address, etc. Most importantly, you will need to get the schools's federal ID number and record this at the bottom of the page.  without this number, you will not be able to claim tuition expenses.
  3. When you enter this information, the next screen will allow you to enter this information.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies