Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does "Did you buy any major items while living in Texas?" only apply to the year 2021

Hello,

I am filing my taxes online again this year using TurboTax and I am on the section under Federal > Deductions & Credits > Major Purchases, but it is asking a very vague question: "Did you buy any major items while living in Texas?"

This does not specify whether or not this ONLY applies to the year 2021. Would this be only in regards for 2021, or any years prior (I.e., purchased a vehicle in early 2020)

Thanks for the assist!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Does "Did you buy any major items while living in Texas?" only apply to the year 2021

Yes, it is asking about major purchases made, but just for 2021.   Don't include the sales tax you paid for the car; that would apply to your 2020 tax return.   TurboTax is attempting to calculate your sales tax deduction for 2021, but you are right, that screen should specify that very important detail - 2021 ONLY.    Thank you; I will report this.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Yes, it is asking about major purchases made, but just for 2021.   Don't include the sales tax you paid for the car; that would apply to your 2020 tax return.   TurboTax is attempting to calculate your sales tax deduction for 2021, but you are right, that screen should specify that very important detail - 2021 ONLY.    Thank you; I will report this.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was also confused. Its 2024 and they still haven't fixed it.

@haree1982 What do you think they were supposed to fix?   Each tax year is separate.  The interview questions refer to the tax year for which you are preparing the return.    If you are preparing a 2023 return, the questions are asking you for information about 2023-- not earlier years.    None of the questions in the current software are going to ask you about 2024.  No one will prepare a 2024 tax return until next year in 2025, when tax year 2024 is over.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I think you understood my reply the wrong way. What I meant was its been 2 years and TurboTax have not fixed it. I was in the same situation as the OP.  But I agree with the questions being asked for the year for which I'm preparing the tax. But I was confused the way the question was asked.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies