turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to enter the dividends of mutual funds from my foreign account? Where should I enter it? I tried to use 1099-Div, but I don't have FEIN for it. Thank you.

If I just enter everything except FEIN, the system asks me to review. But what should I actually do to review it, since I don't have FEIN.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Do I need to enter the dividends of mutual funds from my foreign account? Where should I enter it? I tried to use 1099-Div, but I don't have FEIN for it. Thank you.

@kuomoutax , assuming that you are  US citizen / Resident / Resident for tax purposes , just tell TubroTax that you want to report Dividends and that you do not have a 1099-DIV  i.e. pretend that you are entering from a broker's  consolidated statement. Then  you enter the person/entity  name issuing the dividend  and go on from there  -- leave the FEIN part out and Turbo should accept this  because you do not have a 1099-DIV.

Are you saying the account is in a foreign financial account / foreign broker managed mutual fund ?  Which country ?  Note that  if the account is in a different country and  broker is not registered in the USA,  then  FBAR and FATCA may be involved 

Thanks PK!

Once I entered all the info into TurboTax's 1099-DIV and left FEIN blank, the system says this entry needs review, which is different from other entries with FEIN entered. What should I do with the "Review"? Thank you!

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@kuomoutax , I am familiar only with desktop version --- but in my case  , instead of importing the 1099-DIV, I chose  "I will enter myself" -- this  brings up a series of boxes  ( and with checking "my form has more boxes " ) where in I enter each item by hand -- there is no box asking for FEIN , just the name of the institution.  I tries including foreign taxes paid and  it worked as expected.  No issues anywhere.  I ran the federal  check and  there are no errors found.

What version are you using?   Perhaps  you need to delete the entry  ( even though it will show  zero and blank but the line appears  to still remain. Just add another dividend and enter everything by hand  --- put a name  in the box that asks  for  details of the issuer  ( I think it uses Box #1 ).  follow  all the screens  and  see if you can pass the  federal  review.  I am using  Home  & Business desktop version

@pk, thanks for your response! I use my laptop for TurboTax, not sure if it's the same version you mentioned. Where can I choose what version to use? Where can I find "I will enter myself"? I can only see 2019 TAX -> Wages and Incomes -> Dividends on 1099-DIV -> Edit/Add, and then the only choice I have is "Add another 1099-DIV".

Besides, should I report the dividends by the name of individual mutual fund or just by the broker?

Thank you so much!

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

You can report the dividends by the broker you do not need to report each individual mutual fund amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies