turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependents claimed fraudulently

I found out my ex wrongly claimed our children on his tax return (he filed before me and mine was rejected). He then received not only the child credit for 2020 but also the subsequent stimulus funds for them. I now learned he's also getting the child credit advance payments that are being distributed now.

How do I go about reporting this? I tried numerous times to contact the IRS and never can get someone on the phone. Any advice would be appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
drc845443
Employee Tax Expert

Hello Tanya,

In order to claim the children for 2020, you should file an amended tax return by mail and claim the children.

When you submit the tax return, you should include a covering letter that explains why the children should be claimed on your tax return. The IRS will then adjudicate your case and determine who has the right to claim the children.

You may find the links below useful in formulating your arguments to the IRS on why your ex-spouse should not be allowed to claim the children and in guiding you through the process.

https://www.eitc.irs.gov/tax-preparer-toolkit/frequently-asked-questions/divorced-and-separated-pare...

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/identity-theft-dependents

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
R-SchuleCPA
Expert Alumni

The process will be long, but I believe the best way to proceed will be to Amend your 2020 tax return,  (regardless of initial denial) and claim your children as dependents. The key will be attaching evidence that supports entitlement. The easiest way would be a court order showing legal entitlement. Another possible way would be a child support statement showing support by ex is not enough to meet 50% support test, (assuming that is the case). As always Turbo Tax experts are here to help you.

if your return was rejected you do not file an amended return. you must mail in an original return and claim your dependents.  while the IRS might look at the letter of explanation, since this is one-sided, it might well be ignored. what the IRS will then do is send a notice to both parties asking for an amended return. if neither do, then the IRS will next send a second notice asking for proof - such as a picture of their bedroom, school attendance records, medical bills, signed affidavits from your neighbors.  then the IRS chooses a winner based on what's submitted and the loser gets a bill.  since the IRS is so backlogged this could take many months.

I originally filed e file... my state form is not available for download  or for print so I can not print out forms, how do I handle this

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

I am including forms availability lists for both Federal and State . This will let you know when all forms will be available @Brack2920.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies