Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deductions available to a Product Reviewer?

Best Buy sends me products to review, I review them and post the review on their website. I get to keep the product for "free". But it's not really free at all... I get a 1099-misc from Best Buy where they indicate the full MSRP value of the product as payment to me. This really stinks because they are using MSRP. Most products never sell at that amount. Nonetheless that is what the do. I question whether Best Buy even pays for the product from the manufacturer, yet they claim to have paid me. For example I received a laptop computer. MSRP is $1299. Best Buy sells it for $999.00 (on sale). Best Buy claims to have paid me $1299 so I get taxed on that amount. Yet even if I try to sell it online after the review (which Best Buy forbids), I wouldn't get close to even the $999 street price. Are there any deductions I can take since I performed these reviews at home on my own time? I've reviewed computers, laptops, printers, microwave ovens, blenders, smart watches, vacuums, etc. Anything that Best Buy sells. I would dearly appreciate any advice that may help offset the large amount Best Buy says I was compensated for. Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes, since Best Buy sends you a 1099-MISC for the income, you can file a Schedule C and claim your expenses. 

When you claim the expenses (your computer/laptop for working, internet access) you will need to upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employed which will be an up-charge. 

Although, as you say, you will be claiming $1,299 as income for something you could purchase for $999, you are only paying tax on the income. Additionally, you are adding to your Social Security account. 

But, it is up to you to decide if it is worth doing the reviews in the future. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes, since Best Buy sends you a 1099-MISC for the income, you can file a Schedule C and claim your expenses. 

When you claim the expenses (your computer/laptop for working, internet access) you will need to upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employed which will be an up-charge. 

Although, as you say, you will be claiming $1,299 as income for something you could purchase for $999, you are only paying tax on the income. Additionally, you are adding to your Social Security account. 

But, it is up to you to decide if it is worth doing the reviews in the future. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you I really appreciate it!

Chris

There are two separate issues here.

First, if this is a “ongoing trade or business” that you do for the purpose of earning a profit, even if the profit is not in cash, then you can report this as a schedule C business.  With a schedule C business, you report your gross income and you can deduct your legitimate expenses. You pay income tax +15% self-employment tax on the net profit.  

However, it’s not clear to me what your legitimate business expenses would be, except maybe car mileage to drive to Best Buy to pick up anything that is not delivered to you.  At best, you could only deduct a percentage of your home Internet costs as it relates to the percentage of time that you use the Internet for business, and if audited, you would need to have some kind of documents or records to prove what that percentage was.  

If you are not engaged in an ongoing trade or business for profit, then this would be a hobby and you would report this as other miscellaneous income. You don’t have to pay the extra 15% self-employment tax, but you can’t deduct your expenses.  If you don’t have any legitimate business expenses to deduct, the hobby other income method will result in lower tax.

The IRS takes a dim view of claiming to be a business in order to deduct expenses when you are really a hobby, but they take an equally dim view of claiming to be a hobby so that you can avoid self-employment tax. This is an area of audit risk either way, so make sure that you have a legitimate basis on which to report this as either self-employment.

Second, you are only responsible for income tax on the fair market value of the goods you receive, even if the official price and the 1099 value are higher.  This was decided in a tax court case many years ago, in which a gentleman won a piece of jewelry from a department store. The department store valued the jewelry at $5000, but it only appraised for $1200, and the department store eventually admitted that $5000 was a “comparison price“, and the item was always “on sale“ for $1499 or less.  

If you are issued a 1099 for what you believe is an incorrect value, the IRS instructs you to report the actual fair market value of the item on your tax return. File by mail, and include a copy of the 1099 in a written explanation of why you reported a lower value. You will also want to keep records such as advertisements from Best Buy or print outs of their website showing the actual price they charge for the item.

It would not be appropriate to report the full value of the 1099 and then subtract the difference as a “business expense.”

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies