Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet

I have six different 1098 forms to file as I have multiple rental properties, and also purchased a new house last year. has anyone had any success of using another platform other than TT? I'm ready to make the jump. I just don't have the time to wait around, not knowing when or IF these guys will ever resolve this problem. I'm sure many of us here feel the same. 

Apparently, they refuse to refund because if you paid, that means you are satisfied with the product, even if the product refuses to file due to bugs in the product. It's your fault for paying them, you see! What a load of baloney.  I am really disappointed at how bad TT has gotten. 

dber
Returning Member

Thanks! Just requested the refund and filed with FreeTaxUSA. A little less intuitive but very straight forward and multiple 1098s actually worked. Same Refund/Owed amount that I saw with the "workaround" from TurboTax but even with that it wouldn't let me file. 

dber
Returning Member

I'll wait to see what they do they do with the formal request for refund, 5-7 days. If they don't refund, I will fight the charge.  I hope they will accept it due to their 60 days satisfaction guarantee and I already have a 1 hour call logged with them on the subject where they admitted they couldn't fix it and to please check back on the 26th. 

you will get a reject on the refund as it states in there fine print "60 day money back guarantee does not apply to TT online application";

Good Luck!

dber
Returning Member

Nope you were right. That only applies their other products not the online service. Will have to fight the charge through the cc company.

dber
Returning Member

I did... Once the charge posts I'll point Amex to this forum thread for any evidence that their product isn't working, at least as of today.

@ijustwanttofilemytaxes,

Can you please link the form directly. That topic seems to send in a loop. When clicking on the actual "FORM" link it just goes back to the original page. Tried it from 2 computers, cleared cache, and also tried from my ipad.

Would really like the link to the direct form for the refund.

dber
Returning Member

It will decline the refund because "it could have already been useful to prepare taxes" according to the resolutions team rep I just spoke with. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-request-a-refund-for-my-turbotax-product/...

He said to fill it out again and try again. Unfortunately it may default to declining it unless they have a record or case number for you.

If I'm going with the Standard Deduction and not itemizing, do I even need to enter my 1098's since I'm not itemizing?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

No, you don't have to report Form 1098 if you are using the standard deduction on your federal tax return. However, in some states you might be able to itemize your deductions, even though you are taking the standard deduction on your federal tax return. 

There are 12 states and Washington, D.C., that will allow you to itemize on your state tax return only if you itemize on your federal. Those 12 States are Colorado, Georgia, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Utah and Virginia,

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Can this work if you sold your primary residence and purchased a new one? I have two 1098s for that reason and while the majority of my deduction comes from one, it saves me an addition $600 or so to file both 1098s. Why can't Turbo Tax support this? Also why is it not clear that this isn't supported by Tubo Tax until after you pay for the filing?

WHEN IS THIS GOING TO BE FIXED?

cajstyle
Returning Member

@AliciaP1 This does not work for two discrete lenders. When will the form be fixed?

Question- what if I select the option that says “Do my taxes for me”..? How will they handle this situation with the mortgage interest worksheet error?

Has anyone been able to submit taxes with this issue?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies